Weight lifting

Options
Question: Is it better to split up your body if lift weights 3 times a week like do tris, chest, abs one day then legs and shoulders day two then to biceps, shoulders, and traps on day three?
Also, is it okay to do cardio in between sets to keep the heart rate up? like 30seconds of jumping jacks?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's best to pick a program suitable for your level of experience that has been devised by an expert and follow it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you are just starting, full body workouts are the way to go. there is no need to split you body up into groups just yet.

i personally would not do jumping jacks between sets. the rest time between sets is just that, a rest period. use it to recover and do the next set to the best of your abilities.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's best to pick a program suitable for your level of experience that has been devised by an expert and follow it.
    if you are just starting, full body workouts are the way to go. there is no need to split you body up into groups just yet.

i personally would not do jumping jacks between sets. the rest time between sets is just that, a rest period. use it to recover and do the next set to the best of your abilities.

^what they said.

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I do combos of everything. One day triceps/chest, the next biceps/back, etc. I lift for approx. 1 hour each day and swim everyday for 1/2 hour.
  • blazterx
    blazterx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are a beginner (based on your questions) I recommend that you follow a beginner strength program. StrongLifts 5x5 is 3 days a week and will take you tons further than what you have described. Save the cardio for after your workout (or another day even) because you will need the rest in between sets. All of that being said, just my opinion, so take it as such.
  • Gl3nnIV
    Gl3nnIV Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When you start to lift heavier, you will need your rest. Try not to turn lifting into cardio. Keep that separate, if you're doing a 3 day split. There's no harm in doing it after, I have read somewhere it can also have a negative effective but that might be broscience.
    I'd say check out bodybuilding.com to answer you question more clearly and accurately
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Lifting is not cardio time. Use your rest periods to rest. If you don't need your rest periods to rest, then you should be lifting more. The fact that you're doing abs one day tells me that you would benefit from a beginner lifting program. There is no reason to isolate muscle groups- it's very inefficient.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a beginner at weight lifting. I have lifted heavy before in college, I just changed things up since I am home now. The workout I talked about above is a 6 day program so you do each day twice in a week. I was just told to keep your heart rate up.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    I'm not really a beginner at weight lifting. I have lifted heavy before in college, I just changed things up since I am home now. The workout I talked about above is a 6 day program so you do each day twice in a week. I was just told to keep your heart rate up.

Can you link us to the program?
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    It's one that a friend does.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    poedunk65 wrote: »
    ...I lift for approx. 1 hour each day and swim everyday for 1/2 hour.

I have always wondered what that means. You don't exercise for a time, you get either a distance covered or a number of sets at an amount of weight. I look around the gym and see people sitting around or drinking water or looking at sports center on the tvs. That is all time that goes into that 1 hour of workout and then they wonder why they are not progressing.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Did your friend design the program or did a fitness expert put the program together? How long have you been lifting, and what kind of results have you seen so far?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I like that over the years the knowledgebase of this forum has improved dramatically to the point where at least 50% of the time, one of the first few responses is actually a good one. That's serious progress. Back when I started here (about 4 years ago), the first 10 replies would be discussing whether walking, 30DS or xyz beachbody program was the best for strength.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

If you're asking questions like these, you're still a beginner.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Did your friend design the program or did a fitness expert put the program together? How long have you been lifting, and what kind of results have you seen so far?

It was one a trainer made for her. Seems to work for her but I feel 6 days of lifting is a lot
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

It was one a trainer made for her. Seems to work for her but I feel 6 days of lifting is a lot

It is.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why flag him for this? It's an honest response... Just because you have lifted before doesn't mean you've broken out of the beginner category. It's more about the stress and adaptation model, and how rapidly you could progress... More than likely you are still categorized as a beginner, especially if you are referencing the fact that you "used to lift heavy before college". All it means is that you would progress through a beginner program more rapidly this time around.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Truth.

And I find it amusing that this has been flagged.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Truth.

What flag :wink:

OP, keep in mind the science continuously evolves, so why not do a current program that would be better suited for you, instead of some other person. And there is nothing wrong with starting with a beginner program as long as your lifts are increasing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Truth.

What flag :wink:

OP, keep in mind the science continuously evolves, so why not do a current program that would be better suited for you, instead of some other person. And there is nothing wrong with starting with a beginner program as long as your lifts are increasing.

Thanks