Is it really possible to change your metabolism?

Options
retrolina
retrolina Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
As the title says... Any studies to prove this? As in, if you eat very low cal for an extended period, you will lower your base metabolism... I see it thrown around in lots of posts but is there any scientific studies around this? For example, monitoring a recovering anorexic person's/starvation/malnutrition victim's metabolism...

And I'm aware that lean muscle burns more calories than fat, so I mean apart from gaining/losing muscle!

Any info appreciated.

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good question. I don't know the answer though. My metabolism is horrible. I am hoping exercising 90 minutes a day will help. Doesn't seem to be however.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well...yes and no. If you eat super duper low calorie, your body will start to shut or slow down various totally normal processes. The most infamous example is amenorrhea in women--stopping periods. Other things would be, fewer incidental movements like jittering your feet nervously, twitching, less of a desire to get up and stretch when you've been sitting awhile, lowered body temperature. So technically, you are requiring less energy to function, but it's not because of some "metabolism" change. Similarly, some people who recover from EDs need to eat *crazy* amounts of food for quite a few years, especially in the beginning, because their bodies need so much more energy to rebuild what was stripped away in the first phase.

The MFP group "Eat Less to Weigh More" is based on the theory that if you very very slowly increase the amount you eat, you can reset your baseline, but honestly you're not going to see a *huge* difference, maybe 100 calories a day at most. (Although that seems like a big number from where my BMR sits, I gotta admit.)

There are natural outliers in both directions, of course (the number I see thrown around is within +/- 200 calories a day of median), and things like hypothyroidism, amenorrhea, PCOS etc can slow a person's metabolism somewhat. But as in all things, most people are average. "Slow metabolism" (barring diagnosable medical circumstances) *usually* just means "I wish I could eat all the time like my thin friend eats one night a week."
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There isn't some magical method of causing your body to be so inefficient at doing stuff that it requires a lot more food for you to carry out your daily activities. If anything, exercise will lead to the body being more efficient with the calories it uses. Unless you have a medical condition that impacts it, I think you're better off not worrying about metabolism and focus more on eating in moderation and exercising at high intensity.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is... but in most cases, the change isn't significant until you get to fairly "extreme" cases.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    retrolina wrote: »
    As the title says... Any studies to prove this? As in, if you eat very low cal for an extended period, you will lower your base metabolism... I see it thrown around in lots of posts but is there any scientific studies around this? For example, monitoring a recovering anorexic person's/starvation/malnutrition victim's metabolism...

And I'm aware that lean muscle burns more calories than fat, so I mean apart from gaining/losing muscle!

Any info appreciated.

There is some adaptive thermogenesis that takes place. Other than that, eating low calories puts a lot of stress on the body and jacks with your hormones...said hormones are responsible for many bodily functions, including an optimally functional metabolism.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Your metoblism is constantly changing in an effort to supply your body with the correct rate of energy.
    Simply exercising increasing your metoblism just as laying around on the couch decreases your metabolism.

There is no way to change the ratio of your metoblism.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    LOL - no.

At least not in the way that is popular with all the ignorant, neurotic Fad Dieters (and the Marketing Droids targeting them) out there.
  • flosoup38
    flosoup38 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've an underactive thyroid and my consultant has always told me that even medicated I will never really change my metabolism :-/ very disheartening
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Certainly not by eating grapefruits or other alleged "metabolism-boosting/fat burning" food/supplements that Dr.Oz recommends.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No and there is no special concoctions. If there was we would all be doing it!

I wish it was mind over body! I would be through with my weight loss by now!
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There are ways to reset a damaged metabolism. My roommate works in eating disorder clinics and they do it with their patients.

If you've tried starvation diets, etc, then a nutritionist can help you get back to normal. Otherwise, there isn't a magic way to give yourself a better metabolism.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Yes, it is... but in most cases, the change isn't significant until you get to fairly "extreme" cases.

Good point.

• smetters1955
    Options
    retrolina wrote: »

Any info appreciated.

I'm trying to get back on track I read your post and there is medical proof that I learned at a hospital diabetic class. The nurses taught us that our bodies our organs and gut and brain all work to metabolize our food. The way we eat and what we eat will make us lose or gain. It goes like this. everyone that wants to lose weight must balance amount of glucose in your blood system at ALL times period. If your body goes without a meal that's nutritionally balanced it revoltes against your good intentions by sabatoging you and dumping glucose from your liver into your blood that's sets bad things in motion your gut starts sending hunger hormones to brain then your brain tells your body its in starvation mode hence a weight gain on its way for sure. So I've lost 120# on this principle its simple don't panic and fall for fad diets. Think healthy balanced meals at about 1400 calories a day if less your body shuts down won't burn fat. 6 mini meals like snacks if your having hunger issues. Small 8 inch plates. Servings sizes are half cup unless starch food its 1\4 cup milk is a starch limit bit. The whole idea is balance mind and body and foods. Meals 3 a day at no more than 300 calories each. 2 snacks OK a fruit. Fill half your plate first w green salad and top w fresh veggies other half a serving meat lean size deck cards other a roll or potatoes half cup. Fats 30 grams a day. Without fats in diet you'll be hungry and lose your hair. Its really looking beyond the image we think we see in that mirror and loving ourselves enough to feed our bodies in a good balanced way to tricking our bodies to lose this works. Our bodies scientifically was built to servive that's why it has to be carefully slowly tricked this way to loose.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Soooooo much NOPE in that ^^^ I can't even take the time to refute it all ...