Gaining a pound--is it normal?

Options
I had been steadily losing about one pound a week. Then last week I stayed about the same, and this week I gained slightly over a pound.

I try to weigh myself only once a week. I usually work out 5 times a week alternating between strength and cardio, and I stay within my calorie target for the week (sometimes I might go over for a day--but balance it with days that I am under my calorie goal).

Is it normal to gain a pound every once in a while on this weight lost quest, or is it a sign that I'm not doing this right?

Kind of a bummer. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It is normal. Stick with it and you should see a loss next week. Water fluctuations do wacky things to the scales.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    1 lb can easily be water retention. Heck, 5 lbs can be water retention. If you didn't eat the calories consider it to be temporary and don't get discouraged. Make sure you're logging accurately, not under or over eating, and try not to stress out too much. With just the information provided I don't see that you're doing anything wrong, but if you open up your diary and provide your statistics someone else might have more advice.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Normal. Check out some other people's progress:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/781741-please-show-us-some-progress-graphs

Weight loss isn't linear.
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm sorry to inform you that you gonna die
  • megaen29
    megaen29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat and every once and a while a little bit of a gain might happen especially if you are doing strength training. With that in mind though don't reduce the amount of strength training your doing. More muscle equals more fat burned in the long run. Keep going and I'm sure you'll see a loss next week!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    2wlvp1v.jpg

Normal. Your weight can fluctuate up to several pounds in less then a day and from day to day.
  • greenapples27
    greenapples27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • greenapples27
    greenapples27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is helpful to see. Thanks for sharing!