Super Bowl Food... Looking for ideas (healthy but oh so good)

Options
RoxieDawn
RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
edited January 2015 in Recipes
I am still trying to figure out what to serve for the Super Bowl. Need to feed 4 adults and all though I know how to make dips, chips, chili, and more.. I was looking for some alternatives or ideas I have not thought of that may be healthier alternative but very yummy..

Replies

• SarahDWalker26
    SarahDWalker26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Exploding Chicken Taquitos ( found on the hungry girl website)

I am trying these

PER SERVING (2 taquitos): 197 calories, 2.5g fat, 594mg sodium, 22.5g carbs, 3g fiber, 2g sugars, 20.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Prep: 10 minutes
    Cook: 20 minutes
    Chill: 15 minutes

Click to download a printer-friendly version!

Ingredients:

One 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) can 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained and flaked
    1/2 cup salsa
    8 small (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
    1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
    Optional dips: additional salsa, fat-free sour cream
    Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable. Set aside.

Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid. Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling. Set aside.

Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Place one tortilla flat on a clean dry surface (keep the rest between the paper towels), and spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube. Secure with toothpicks, if needed, and place seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.

Bake in the oven until crispy, 14 - 16 minutes. (Don't worry if they crack and "explode" a little!)

Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove toothpicks, if using. If you like, serve with additional salsa and sour cream for dipping. Enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Healthy as in lower calorie or?

IMO, I'd rather fit all the delicious things into my plan, but I see what you mean!

Some easy things would be serving veggies with the dip instead of chips, fruit tray, deviled eggs, "smoothie" shots, shrimp skewers, cucumber "pizzas", etc
    Having a mixture of both is good so you can have errrthang!

p.s search healthy super bowl on Pinterest.. I found like 238902183 things.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Healthy as in, it can fit into my calorie day with out over loading. I can substitute low fat items like sour cream, cream cheese, shredded cheese, milk and I can also prepare low sodium.

I just need some ideas if you have something other than the traditional Chili, chips and dip.

Also the Chicken Taquitos above sound really really yummy. I am def going to this one.. Also I will do a veggie tray with low fat ranch for dipping...
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Oh yeah... Now we're talking... Thanks jkwolly...

I love eggplant and zucchini.. Who knew you could make fries out of a veggie!! Cool!
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    hummus(either homemade or bought) pita chips,cherry tomatoes and pepper slices
    I make my own Hummus
    Drain can of garbonzos and rinse to remoce salt
    1 tbs peanut butter ,tahanni or any flavores oil
    juice of one lemon or lime
    siracha (optional)

put all ingerdients in blender,food processor or use an imersion blender, blend until super smooth. Add water until it is a consistency you like. Easy- peasy
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    you can also roast garbanso beans toss lightly in oil, spread on cookie sheet ,roat 4oodegree until crispy about 40 min.Like peanuts but different.add any spice you fancy
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Rather than low fat sour cream, use non-fat Greek yogurt for your dips. It may have similar calories but it's a huge protein and fat difference. I made some this past weekend using just Liption Onion Soup mix and yogurt. I brought some to work today to eat with my veggie straws. Instead of that mix you could make it with anything you like, of course.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lol I would walk out of a Super Bowl party that served cauliflower instead of actual chicken wings. :sick:
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    emilybites.com has some great stuff ... like buffalo chicken eggrolls ....enchilada cups made with wonton wrappers ...french dip bites made with wonton wrappers ...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lol I would walk out of a Super Bowl party that served cauliflower instead of actual chicken wings. :sick:
    Yeeeeeeeeup, but she asked for it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

now C'mon! world shouldn't revolve around food all the time everytime.

sometimes it should take a backseat. watch the game, drink some good beer, have a laugh with friends, make memories and eat. no need to leave a nice party. i bet there is other food than just cauliflower whatever.

What if it's cauliflower beer? :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am still trying to figure out what to serve for the Super Bowl. Need to feed 4 adults and all though I know how to make dips, chips, chili, and more.. I was looking for some alternatives or ideas I have not thought of that may be healthier alternative but very yummy..

I would consider a homemade chili pretty healthy.

I'm making ribs and chicken wings and a big batch of green chile stew. I will also have some chips and dips out as well as a veggie tray and salad fixin's
  • rtietz01
    Options
    I actually love the buffalo cauliflower. And I don't eat cauliflower any other way. It has all the yummy hot goodness of franks and still good texture from being roasted. This one is easy and delicious. (BTW I love hot wings, but now I only make the cauliflower, it is seriously THAT GOOD)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    rtietz01 wrote: »
    I actually love the buffalo cauliflower. And I don't eat cauliflower any other way. It has all the yummy hot goodness of franks and still good texture from being roasted. This one is easy and delicious. (BTW I love hot wings, but now I only make the cauliflower, it is seriously THAT GOOD)

I'm looking forward to making this on Sunday. It sounds awesome...like the cauliflower appetizer at the Indian restaurants (can't remember the name).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

I'm looking forward to making this on Sunday. It sounds awesome...like the cauliflower appetizer at the Indian restaurants (can't remember the name).

Gobi Pakora
    http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/gobi-pakora-cauliflower-pakora/
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Boil a couple of chicken breasts, shred them up and mix in some Frank's buffalo sauce, wrap them in eggroll or wonton wrappers, bake until the wrappers are crispy. I make a dip of ranch and more buffalo sauce mixed together; I tend to make the ranch myself from those powdered packets and cottage cheese in the blender.

You can also make perfectly delicious chicken wings by just tossing naked, raw wings in your favorite sauce and baking them instead of frying them. Just as tasty and amazing as the battered/fried ones, but much lower in calories and sodium.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »

Gobi Pakora
    http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/gobi-pakora-cauliflower-pakora/

Thanks! I was thinking of the Gobi manchurian. so good!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    make a chili bean dip tonnes of semi healthy recipes on the interwebs for that
    edamame hummus with some pita chips or whatever crackers you like
    banana muffin cupcakes - just your favourite banana muffin recipe with some frosting/icing
    buffalo cauliflower is actually really damn good so
    berry or apple crisp with some ice cream
    you can use tofu to make chip dip look up vegan ranch or onion dips full of protein and what not
    stuffed mushrooms
    stuffed peppers