High Protein Low fat

Options
Morning Everyone!

So I find that I am ALWAYS going over my fat! Doesn't matter good fat or bad fat I always seem to go over!
Does anyone have suggestions on high protein low fat foods and snacks I can start adding in to up that protein and bring down that fat?

Thanks!! <3

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    What are your macro targets in grams or calories?
  • CelticValentine
    CelticValentine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to know as well!
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me at 1600-1700 calories a day (after workout)
    50% Carbs
    30% Protein
    20% Fat

Im open to suggestions of different numbers! But im trying to lose weight with a thyroid issue and am at a stand still!

Any help would be great
    Thanks
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why is your fat goal so low? It sounds very difficult to sustain, and, if not stated otherwise, unnecessary too. And what do you mean by good and bad fat? (My macros are 39% fat, 43% carbs, 18% protein.)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm on a similar breakdown, though slightly more overall cals. Protein powder makes a big difference. Also, chicken and low/zero fat dairy. Beef jerky, certain cuts of beef/fish. Low fat ground beef.
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dannon fit & light Greek yogurt (80Calories) - 9 Carb, 0 fat & 12 Protein! You should be able to buy them at your grocery store. Costco has the best deals on these - A container of 18 for 10-11 bucks.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your trainer and see if you can up your fat to 30% possibly. Fat does not necessarily make you fat - I find myself much more able to attain my protein goals when I give myself a little more wiggle room with fat. Personally changed my macros to 40c/30p/30f relatively recently and have really found it more fulfilling & satiating. Unless you have a medical condition that dictates low-fat, I'd talk to my trainer/doctor about changing it up some to find what works best for you while still maintaining the deficit.

Otherwise - when I was eating less fat, I incorporated a lot of extra lean ground turkey and boneless skinless chicken breast into my meals to get the protein up and the keep the fat down. Protein powder too, if you can stomach it - not my thing but some love it (I know my husband does). Also quest bars in a pinch.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    evarga12 wrote: »
    Dannon fit & light Greek yogurt (80Calories) - 9 Carb, 0 fat & 12 Protein! You should be able to buy them at your grocery store. Costco has the best deals on these - A container of 18 for 10-11 bucks.

And this! I live on this stuff! And 1% cottage cheese, if I don't want sweet.
  • Boardergurl
    Options
    That's just what my trainer told me to strive for!
    Its usually from nuts and nut butters... my tofu
    so its not like I'm eating cheese that's super high in fat or junk is what I meant!
    yes I have a protein powder/meal replacement shake that I just finished this morning, that I'm going to switch out for a high protein powder! that was my first thought!
    I cant do the yogurt thing!
    Beef Jerky is a good option to!

Thanks for your help
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As a side note... perhaps consider prelogging your foods so you can see which foods work well together to hit your macro goals.
  • Boardergurl
    Options
    Thanks for the help Jacksonpt! I have just started doing that!
    I just need to change up my foods! I don't think over all I eat bad!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    As a side note... perhaps consider prelogging your foods so you can see which foods work well together to hit your macro goals.

Just to second this note.. I pre-log and it helps a great a deal. I may not change my plan for that day, but I can certainly look for things to buy at the grocery store that are different than the choices I had been making..

Good luck... Really good info..
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you like tofu, you can do what I do with it:

Take one block extra firm tofu, slice it up however you wish into equally sized slices (I like to cut it horizontally into 14 slices, then once vertically for approx 34 squares). Preheat your oven to 450, put parchment paper down on a baking sheet, and toss the tofu squares with whatever marinade you want (I use liquid aminos because i love the salty flavor, but you could do a teaspoon of olive oil with spices instead, or maybe lime juice, etc).

Bake the tofu squares for 20-25 minutes, until they're fairly dried out and browned along the edges. They keep for at least a week, but I end up downing them over the course of 3-4 days.

I usually pack 5-6 squares every day as my midday snack-once they're cooked and cooled they get nice and chewy and satisfying.
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too love greek yogurt! I go for the Chobani Plain, Non-Fat because I am watching my sugar intake. But if you are not worried about sugars, try one of the flavored kinds. Greek yogurt has about twice the protein of regular yogurts. I also eat a lot off egg whites (hard boiled or in omelets). They are pretty much pure protein, with negligible fats and carbs. I have also really liked cooking meals with extra-lean ground turkey. You can put it in spaghetti, chili, soup, etc..... anything that usually takes ground beef. Hope that helps a little! Good Luck! :)
  • Boardergurl
    Options
    Oh that sounds amazing questionfear!!!! I am going to do that on Sunday when I meal prep!
    I love tofu!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's just what my trainer told me to strive for!
    Its usually from nuts and nut butters... my tofu
    so its not like I'm eating cheese that's super high in fat or junk is what I meant!
    yes I have a protein powder/meal replacement shake that I just finished this morning, that I'm going to switch out for a high protein powder! that was my first thought!
    I cant do the yogurt thing!
    Beef Jerky is a good option to!

Thanks for your help

While nuts and nut butters do have protein, they are generally considered sources of dietary fat more so than sources of protein. Lean sources of protein are chicken breast, pork tenderloin, lean cuts of beef like tenderloin, flank steak, London Broil (top round), fish, etc. Also non-fat Greek Yogurt is good...eggs and egg whites, etc.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How much fat is that? 20% of 1600/1700 sounds pretty low to me (not sure though as your diary's private). Maybe ask your trainer if there's some leeway between carbs and fat.

If not, white fish, chicken, turkey, Greek yoghurt, whey etc.
  • Boardergurl
    Options
    Yes I do eat chicken, tofu and eggs lol! that's all from your list!
    I need to get in the mind set of just eating yogurt cause its good for me lol
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a function of calorie balance (intake vs. expenditure). If you are at a stand still with your weight loss, it is because you are not achieving a deficit, and instead are at a maintenance calorie level. Reexamine how much you are eating and how much you are burning. People usually underestimate intake and overestimate expenditure.

Your macro ratios, in and of themselves, do not affect your weight loss, calorie balance does. However, your macro ratios do affect hunger/satiety, mood, blood glucose levels, how much muscle you retain as you lose weight, and other aspects of health.

Having a higher fat goal may make it easier for you to comply with your calorie goal and therefore help you to stay in a deficit. You might experiment with lowering your carbohydrate goal slightly and raising your fat intake to see if you find it easier to hit those targets and stay within your calorie budget.

Generally, it is better to determine your macro goals based on your weight and not based on percentages. You might want to check out one of the many threads regarding setting macro goals: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Is your trainer also a registered dietitian? If he/she isn't I wouldn't take their diet 'advice' as gospel.

That's not to say that there aren't trainers who are exceedingly knowledgeable, but there's just as many who are great at the exercise/training part of their job, and wallow in Bro-Science on the dietary side.