Overweight pregnancy vs fit pregnancy

Options
Are there any mamas out there who experienced an overweight/unhealthy first pregnancy and a fit second pregnancy? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences about the second? Were you better able to maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy? Was it easier to "bounce back" after?

This will be my scenario if I get pregnant again, which my partner and I would very much like but I also find myself getting super hesitant to go through it again since I'm currently in the best shape I've ever been, finally loving my body, super active, etc. Having a second kiddo isn't really in question--I definitely want to do it--just looking for some encouragement and some women to look to who have done it and are still rockin' their fitness. =)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy 6 years ago, I feel was much more unhealthy than my second. I had no regard for what or how much I ate. I did do a prenatal swim class, which I think was my only saving grace. I gained 45 lbs with that first pregnancy. I did lose some weight post-partum but I still had no regard for my own health and ballooned back up to just 3 lbs under my ending pregnancy weight. According to my OB's charts, I started at 169 lbs and ended at 214 lbs (and I'm only 5'2). Joined MFP June 2013 and lost 58 lbs. April 2014 (as planned) I got pregnant with my second daughter who is now 2 weeks old. Started this pregnancy at 155 lbs and gained 24.2 lbs while logging on MFP everyday, watching my nutrition, etc. Of course I did have off days where I went way over, but overall, my eating habits have been way better than previously. I continued to swim 3x a week, as well as taking prenatal swim classes (which felt great, btw). So now I'm only 2 weeks post partum, and I've lost 13.4 lbs of the 24.2 I gained... so I only have 10.8 lbs left to hit my pre-pregnancy weight and then I plan to continue on to my ultimate goal weight. Although my first pregnancy's delivery and recovery was pretty good, I definitely feel this second one was much easier. Physically I feel much better than before. I just have to have patience, because I really miss the pool, lol.
  • theflyingpelican
    theflyingpelican Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    My first pregnancy 6 years ago, I feel was much more unhealthy than my second. I had no regard for what or how much I ate. I did do a prenatal swim class, which I think was my only saving grace. I gained 45 lbs with that first pregnancy. I did lose some weight post-partum but I still had no regard for my own health and ballooned back up to just 3 lbs under my ending pregnancy weight. According to my OB's charts, I started at 169 lbs and ended at 214 lbs (and I'm only 5'2). Joined MFP June 2013 and lost 58 lbs. April 2014 (as planned) I got pregnant with my second daughter who is now 2 weeks old. Started this pregnancy at 155 lbs and gained 24.2 lbs while logging on MFP everyday, watching my nutrition, etc. Of course I did have off days where I went way over, but overall, my eating habits have been way better than previously. I continued to swim 3x a week, as well as taking prenatal swim classes (which felt great, btw). So now I'm only 2 weeks post partum, and I've lost 13.4 lbs of the 24.2 I gained... so I only have 10.8 lbs left to hit my pre-pregnancy weight and then I plan to continue on to my ultimate goal weight. Although my first pregnancy's delivery and recovery was pretty good, I definitely feel this second one was much easier. Physically I feel much better than before. I just have to have patience, because I really miss the pool, lol.

Oh my gosh, that's so great to hear! Definitely the experience I'm hoping to have. I had a pretty great pregnancy first time around, but I was at my highest weight ever when I got pregnant and now I'm at my lowest. Definitely gonna be that pregnant lady everyone loves/hates lifting and cycling at the gym lol

Congrats on your new little one! She's precious!! =)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Oh my gosh, that's so great to hear! Definitely the experience I'm hoping to have. I had a pretty great pregnancy first time around, but I was at my highest weight ever when I got pregnant and now I'm at my lowest. Definitely gonna be that pregnant lady everyone loves/hates lifting and cycling at the gym lol

Congrats on your new little one! She's precious!! =)

Thanks! :)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    While I wasn't overweight, I gained 45 lbs my first pregnancy. I was stuck on hospital strict bedrest and ate whatever I wanted. My second pregnancy I was very fit and only gained 20 lbs and hardly looked pregnant until 9 months. Even at 9 months people didn't believe I was as far along as I said. Birth was also way easier.
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you are all ready in great shape, and weren't before your first pregnancy, you will have a better chance at losing the pregnancy weight.

Ninkyou already gave great suggestions, to stay active and don't use pregnancy a an excuse to go overboard in your eating (you do need more calories, just not as many as most people think).

The things that helped me always lose my pregnancy weight was:
    1- Not gaining more than was the healthy recommendation for pregnancy.
    2-Refusing to buy new clothes to fit my postpartum body (there is nothing that inspires going for a walk with baby or heading to the gym like having to put on maternity pants AFTER you have already had the baby!
  • julesxo
    Options
    Oh and it was easy to bounce back. This was me 2 weeks after my second was born. I lost it all within 6 weeks easily.
  • julesxo
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oh and it was easy to bounce back. This was me 2 weeks after my second was born. I lost it all within 6 weeks easily.

533031_598878777880_1151955674_n.jpg?oh=b3d9580798edb378232faacfeeb3cc38&oe=556B74B0
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 children, now age 5, 3 and 8 months. I started my first pregnancy slightly overweight, but fit and healthy, and went to the gym until around 34 weeks, although not as often as I had been going. I didn't weigh myself, but I gained a fair bit and it took me over a year to lose it, then I got pregnant again when he was 14 months.

I was lazier in my 2nd pregnancy as I felt nauseous and exhausted, and I wasn't as careful with what I ate, so I gained a lot. I did a lot of walking though, especially as I had a toddler to run round after. It took me around a year to lose the weight, although it didn't take me too long to recover my fitness. I then lost even more, so I started my third pregnancy at a healthy weight and super fit.

Unfortunately I still gained a lot in my third pregnancy despite logging and exercising until 38 weeks, but I was back in the gym when she was 6.5 weeks, and it didn't take me long at all to get back to my previous fitness. I ran a 5k (for the first time ever) when she was 4 months old.

Also, I think keeping fit helped me to have healthy pregnancies and good labour and birth experiences. I've had relatively short labours with all three, and given birth just using gas and air, and haven't needed stitches after any of them.

This is me around 37 weeks pregnant with my third. Despite gaining weight, I don't think I looked too bad:

image.jpg
    upload image online free
  • theflyingpelican
    Options
    julesxo wrote: »

533031_598878777880_1151955674_n.jpg?oh=b3d9580798edb378232faacfeeb3cc38&oe=556B74B0

You look amazing!! Thanks for the inspiration. =)
  • theflyingpelican
    Options
    I've had 3 children, now age 5, 3 and 8 months. I started my first pregnancy slightly overweight, but fit and healthy, and went to the gym until around 34 weeks, although not as often as I had been going. I didn't weigh myself, but I gained a fair bit and it took me over a year to lose it, then I got pregnant again when he was 14 months.

I was lazier in my 2nd pregnancy as I felt nauseous and exhausted, and I wasn't as careful with what I ate, so I gained a lot. I did a lot of walking though, especially as I had a toddler to run round after. It took me around a year to lose the weight, although it didn't take me too long to recover my fitness. I then lost even more, so I started my third pregnancy at a healthy weight and super fit.

Unfortunately I still gained a lot in my third pregnancy despite logging and exercising until 38 weeks, but I was back in the gym when she was 6.5 weeks, and it didn't take me long at all to get back to my previous fitness. I ran a 5k (for the first time ever) when she was 4 months old.

Also, I think keeping fit helped me to have healthy pregnancies and good labour and birth experiences. I've had relatively short labours with all three, and given birth just using gas and air, and haven't needed stitches after any of them.

This is me around 37 weeks pregnant with my third. Despite gaining weight, I don't think I looked too bad:

image.jpg
    upload image online free

You were an adorable preggo! And congrats on that 5k, that's awesome!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Are there any mamas out there who experienced an overweight/unhealthy first pregnancy and a fit second pregnancy? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences about the second? Were you better able to maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy? Was it easier to "bounce back" after?
    Yes, yes and yes. My first pregnancy started with me about 15lbs or so over my goal weight to begin with. I was very sick for the first 22 weeks, and other than going to work, I did nothing but lay on the couch and/or vomit. The only foods I could tolerate were pretty calorie dense, so I didn't lose weight, but I wasn't eating properly. And then once the nausea & vomiting eased up some (around 23 weeks), I had a foot injury that kept me from working out. I gained about 55 or 60 lbs overall. Overall the recovery and "bounce back" was a lot harder and longer. I did end up losing 69 lbs, though, over 2.5 years, before getting pregnant with #2. I was at my goal weight when I got pregnant. I kept using MFP, kept logging, and kept exercising. Luckily the nausea wasn't quite as bad the second time around. I did take off a couple of weeks of logging and exercising in the first trimester when the nausea was at it's peak. But overall I gained about 39lbs. I did a lot of prenatal yoga, which I think really helped with strengthening, and with my ability to bounce back. A year later I was within a couple of pounds of my goal, though I got off track for a while. I'm now back at it, and have about 6 or 7 lbs to go.

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    This is so good to read. I haven't had any children yet, but it's my motivation for getting fitter, and it's good to see there is a benefit to both during and after pregnancy. I was a bit worried I'd get to where I want to be, get pregnant and undo all my work, but knowing I'm more likely to bounce back faster the fitter I am to begin with is a great comfort!
  • theflyingpelican
    Options
    Just for the lolz, here's a picture I found of me the day before I went into labor, in 50's greaser drag for a friend's party.

1ec563uxf9a7.jpg

Starting weight pre-pregnancy was about 160. Gained about 25 lbs throughout pregnancy and lost it all within 3 months PPD. Then kept losing to get to my current weight, 143.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just for the lolz, here's a picture I found of me the day before I went into labor, in 50's greaser drag for a friend's party.

1ec563uxf9a7.jpg

Starting weight pre-pregnancy was about 160. Gained about 25 lbs throughout pregnancy and lost it all within 3 months PPD. Then kept losing to get to my current weight, 143.

Still look hot! haha. Looks like a lot of fun.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

1ec563uxf9a7.jpg

You look fab, all bump! I didn't look that cheerful the day before labour lol, mainly because I was so overdue and fed up!
  • theflyingpelican
    Options
    You look fab, all bump! I didn't look that cheerful the day before labour lol, mainly because I was so overdue and fed up!
    [/quote]

Thanks! That day was my actual due date so I wanted to do something fun to distract myself. It's a good policy that I highly recommend. =)

• julesxo
    Options

1ec563uxf9a7.jpg

haha i love it! You looked great!
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

This will be my scenario if I get pregnant again, which my partner and I would very much like but I also find myself getting super hesitant to go through it again since I'm currently in the best shape I've ever been, finally loving my body, super active, etc. Having a second kiddo isn't really in question--I definitely want to do it--just looking for some encouragement and some women to look to who have done it and are still rockin' their fitness. =)

I'm in a similar place as you. I still have about 5-10 pounds to lose until I'm at my pre baby weight. But we're in the process of planning for the next baby in a month or two so I'm confident I will get back down before I get pregnant again. I gained 55 pounds the first time and from nausea lost the habit of exercising. I've been really focused on creating better habits this time, my main focus will be running and lifting weights through out this pregnancy and logging my food on MFP. If all goes to plan I will only gain 25ish pounds and then will be able to lose the extra weight within 6ish months. If you need a friend to help keep you on track for the second pregnancy feel free to friend me!
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just look forward to actually looking pregnant one day. Being so overweight as I was when I had my first daughter...no one could tell because I was so big already. I was 38 weeks along and the nurse was like are you sure...Ummm yeah....

So I def look forward to losing weight and being a cute pregnant lady with the pregnant belly. And to look pregnant not just overweight.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Thanks! That day was my actual due date so I wanted to do something fun to distract myself. It's a good policy that I highly recommend. =)

[/quote]

My children were 10, 12 and 11 days overdue, I'd have had to find a lot of distracting, fun things :)
    Actually, first time round was fine, I just met friends a lot, second and third times were harder as I had my child(ren) already to look after.