Help understanding Atkins diet (protein vs fat)

Options
t44florida
t44florida Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am interested in atkins diet and understand that carbs are limited to 20 grams per day.
What I don't understand is how to determine the amount of protein vs fat that is allowed/recommended.
Can someone please enlighten me?
Thanks.

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    With ketosis diets like Atkins, they're typically low-carb, moderate-protein, and high-fat. An excess of protein can throw a person out of ketosis (through gluconeogenesis) if the body has a greater need for carbs than protein. The Atkins website recommends consuming 3 4-6oz servings of protein-rich foods each day.
  • crownjewel82
    crownjewel82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Atkins publishes a book that explains what kinds of foods are allowed on each phase. If you're going to do one of these diets please go get a copy. The internet will gladly tell you a macronutrient combo that will look right but won't tell you about things like complex carbs and portion sizes.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't know Atkins very well, but my understanding is that it works in phases and that 20g carb limit is part of only the first phase. I agree with Crownjewel82, get the book or look into an official Atkins website. It's worked for a lot of people, so why not you, right? Good luck!!