Meal / Workout Timing (End of day)

Options
Hey Everyone,

Might be a redundant question - but I get home from a hard day at work and I want to eat dinner and chill a little bit. Because I have been trying to get to bed early - i usually eat dinner and wait about 20 min and then go workout. On days I'm not doing a type of cardio, I drink more liquids at dinner (otherwise worried about cramping) - but otherwise haven't really experienced a problem during my workout - and the close dinner time. I get done, do some chores around the house to settle (that idea of taking time before swimming after a meal is engraved in all our heads yes? :smile: ) make a casein shake before bed, then sleep.

*Dinner
*Chill time / Chores
*Workout
*Casein
*Bed

All this in about the 2-3 hours before bed.

Just wondering if it matters. I hear contradicting statements about carbs or fats after working out/before sleep - while I don't each much at all after a workout (like I said - its usually just a casein shake) i wonder if eating my dinner (which is more carb/protein based, I eat most of my fats, or try to, during the day - feel less bitchy that way) so close to my workout falls into the "don't eat much after working out" concept.

To be honest I don't care what the true answer is - cause I can adjust. But curious as to the science (as much science as I can find on this site :wink: ) behind it. I don't really time my meals, but when it comes to my workout at the end of the day, I'd like to get it right so that I'm utilizing sleep time best I can.

Ps. I'm a #flexibledieter I eat a *kitten* ton of food, and I workout about 4-5 days a week. #donuts

@SideSteel‌ - help me out?

-Alex

**(Not sure if this matters, but I am also diagnosed Celiac)

Replies

• alexandra_145
    alexandra_145 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love that it bleeped out the word *kitten* :smile:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am for work and for me, getting up earlier to workout: doesn't work. Tue/Thur are my 'running' days (in addition to the weekend). I get off work, have a spare 30 minutes for misc. errands, pick up my son from school. By the time we get home its 6:45pm. Dinner needs to be quick and easy, but I also TRY to cook something and not just rely on picking up food along the way. So by the time we're eating its 7:30-7:45. I need to wait a little while, let dinner 'settle' before running. So generally its 8:30-8:45 that I'm on the treadmill. I walk to warm up - and let a little more time pass -before running. If all goes well I'm done and in bed by 10pm. Usually though between stuff around the house and what not - more like 11! I don't feel wound up after running, if its a good run I actually have a nice feeling of being physically spent.

On Mon/Wed I have school after work - get home 11pm or later on Monday, and 9:30 on Wednesday. Typically do a little walking on Wednesday night to get my activity to where I want it. Mondays I do my best to get in some activity here & there as the day allows.

Its just the way it is... I don't honestly know if its 'better' to do things differently. I just don't see how I could possibly do things differently.
  • alexandra_145
    Options
    thanks staci :)

I'm really interested in the science of carb/fat/protein placement before/after a workout - so we shall see how the replies stack up :)
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    During the week, I leave at 6am for work and get home by 5:30pm. When I get home (in the winter) I change and go to the gym and usually do weights, cardio, or swim for 30 - 40 minutes (in the summer) I change and go for a run, bike ride, or swim (lake) :) I usually have something cooked already to be warmed up. My go to last meal of the day is usually protein (roast beef or chicken). I eat my last meal after my workout and before 7pm. I do Intermittent fasting so I don't eat before 11am or after 7pm. Hope this helps!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In practice you're likely just fine with your current approach.

For Nerding out, see here:

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • alexandra_145
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @SideSteel‌ Thank you - I'll check that out! and @steff46 thank you for your reply!