Any difference?

Options
Eliptical vs treadmil vs stairclimber.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Any difference in.... what, exactly? All of these can be set up different ways, i.e, inclines, resistance that it really depends what your goals are. If you just want a cardio workout you can use any of them. In my personal opinion stairclimber is most difficult but depends on resistance/speed.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to get out of it? If you have knee or joint issues, stairs and treadmill can be very tough on those joint and the eliptical will be easier.

For me, I can hit the stairs hard about once a week and I love it. I try to run at least ocne a week, and I never use the other because I can't maintain a heart rate high enough without killing my hips for whatever reason.

It's more a personal preference really. I think. If there's other benefits I'd love to hear.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    All are great cardio. I think stairsteppers are better for your leg muscles. At least it feels that way. I think treadmill is better for zoning out while working out. But I think eliptical is the most fun.
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I feel that I typically get a better workout on stairs, treadmill and outside than I do on the elliptical. Due to my knee issues though, I can no longer do high impact things so I end up on an elliptical, or something similar, most of the time. I find that upping the difficulty and resistance will kick the elliptical workout onto a more level playing field with the rest of the equipment.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are 3 very distinct differences. On one machine, you do a gliding stride, on another, you walk or run, and on another you climb stairs.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    All are good cardio. Treadmill is really hard on my knees sometimes (old sports injuries), stair stepper is good for building muscle, elliptical made me feel really uncoordinated the first couple times I got on one :blush: but it's a good workout and low-impact, but my real preference is a recumbent bike. It's easy on my knees and gives me a great cardio workout.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you like one more than the other? Best exercise is something you enjoy, so you can keep doing it. Both are adjustable I believe, so you can alter pace/intensity.

Personally I hate the elliptical, like the treadmill. If elliptical were my only option: I simply wouldn't do it!
    Teela1357 wrote: »
    Eliptical vs treadmil vs stairclimber.
    Any thoughts?

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    They all suck.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I feel like I get a better workout form the stairs, but it can get monotonous after a while. I like the treadmill for short periods of time (i.e. 10 minutes) and doing 1,4,7s (As fast as you can from 1:00 to 2:00, 4:00 to 5:00 and 7:00 to 8:00, then a steady pace for the rest). The elliptical indicates a higher calorie burn but it's not exactly "natural". Pros and cons for each!

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yes, there are 3 very distinct differences. On one machine, you do a gliding stride, on another, you walk or run, and on another you climb stairs.

Lol.

Honestly not really a fan of any of them as I think machine cardio is boring.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    They all suck.

+1
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    personally I like the eliptical because anything the treadmil can do for me I can do outside. It's just walking or running up and down hills. So when the weather keeps me inside I like to change it up.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is a complete waste of time. At every gym I've ever been to, the people who spend tons of time on the elliptical are the ones who can't even begin to keep up in classes.

You are much better off just walking.