best way to lose inches?

Options
I need to lose 10" from my waist and 13" from my hips inorder to pass tape for the army. So does anyone know the best way to lose inches in say 6 months? Either that or 96#. I am currently on a Dr supervised 500 Cal a day with 30-40 min of exercise. I'm doing the 30ds and either walking or another low impact cardio workout. Soon ill be in the pool 1-3 hrs a day with my kids when it warms up just a bit. Do Gloucester think this will get the job done or should I look at doing more?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    weight lifting

A program like Stronglifts 5x5 is good for beginners and doesn't require a lot of time.
  • crystalreaves2
    crystalreaves2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned I don't have gym or weight access. Money is tight and memberships are expensive so I have to do it all from home.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Fair enough.

I don't go to a gym either. Money is tight for me as well. You can also weight lift with dumbbells. You won't be able to get as heavy as you could with a barbell, but you can get pretty far. I was using just dumbbells until recently. My husband saved up over a few months and got us a barbell ($25), bench($60) and a few weights (70lbs for $55...combine that with the weights from our dumbbell set and we have close to 100lbs in weights).

I have this set ($35)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511

You could also look on craigslist and see if anyone around you is selling a set of adjustable dumbbells cheap.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • EckcellentRN
    EckcellentRN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water weighs like 7 lbs if you need more weight you can fill with sand. even just caring a bottle of water in each hand as you walk will help build some muscle. When money was tight my dad used all sorts of stuff as weights. He just weighed himself and then him holding it (whatever) to figure out the amount of weight. but really if you are just starting you do not even need weights to do squats and push ups etc.. you will build up some muscles and more muscle means burning more calories with each move. good luck!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    so, you're eating 500 cals a day, plus burning most likely more than 500 cals a day? What kind of doctor is supervising this??
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    so, you're eating 500 cals a day, plus burning most likely more than 500 cals a day? What kind of doctor is supervising this??

Dr. Oz.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why in the world a Dr. would want you on a 500 calorie-a-day diet.. That's pretty absurd.. But running does wonders for your core. It's also a good way to lose inches around the middle. I know it has for me.
  • JCThayer85
    JCThayer85 Posts: 21
    Options
    When I was out at Ft Bliss I sold IT works wraps and frequently had soldiers buy mulitple to use every 3 days until tape. It'll help lose the inches quickly, most likely won't lose any weight, but it's a quick fix if your in a pinch. After that I strongly suggest some strength training.
  • crystalreaves2
    crystalreaves2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

For health reasons I have to drop weight fairly quickly. They run blood tests weekly and make sure everything is ok and as long as I'm doing fine health wise my Dr is fine with my diet.