No Bake Energy Bars, OK but where's the protein?

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/

I'm running a biggest loser competition at my job. We meet every two weeks for healthy snacks and discussion. I was in a rush and printed this recipe. I already bought all the ingredients (with my companies money) and don't really have time to run back to a store. I figured they'd be on the higher end calorie wise, but when I went to go log this they are too high in calories and only 2 grams of protein. Not sure how many balls I will get but if I max it out to 36, then it's still 91 calories and only 2 grams of protein. Not that great IMO. So is it that these will really just give a lot of ENERGY and that's their benefit? Just stressing because I'm supposed to be serving as a role model.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I had this same problem a few days ago with another site that said 10 no bake energy bites. They were all high carb and low protein. I guess it makes sense for a quick burst of energy, but I was expecting more protein.

You could add some nuts or protein powder I suppose.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    energy bars should be primarily carbs. If you want protein, don't look at energy bars.

I bet you could add some protein powder to that recipe fairly easily.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    edited January 2015
    If you read the comments some people have added protein powder.
    I made something similar but with powdered milk added. You wouldn't eat more than 1 or 2.
    Simillar recipe with some protein powder-> allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-protein-balls/
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Yup @jacksonpt. Energy bar = carby carb carb, like Clif Bars or Nature Valley. Protein bar = protein.

This recipe is pretty tasty and packs a whallop of protein. It's one of the few that doesn't use oats. If you want to make it even more protein-y, you can swap the rest of the flour for more protein powder, but it'll change the texture a little.

The recipe uses egg white protein powder; IME casein works better as a flour substitute.
  • didsomeonesaypizza
    didsomeonesaypizza Posts: 13 Member
    Protein powder and some kind of nut butter should really boost those bars for you. You have more options with recipes for baking, though, and some get really creative!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Make them, they're amazing and they're an energy bite to provide energy, not necessarily a protein bite. Your staff-mates will thank you! My boyfriend wants me to make them all the time because they're great for that late morning or early afternoon snack to get him through to the end of the day. Mine are around 100 calories/ball.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I admit I don't really get the point of 'energy' bars. Every food gives energy...