Sugar Free!

Options
over the past 2 months, I have been working to cut artificial sugars and refined flours totally out of my life! I lost 20 lbs these two months, reaching the minimum healthy weight range, but I still have excess belly fat. I eat between 800-900 calories daily because my diet is so restrictive right now--no artificial sugar, limited natural sugar, no bread, pasta, etc. I eat plenty of raw nuts, raw nut butters, celery, broccoli, Greek yogurt, blueberries, salad with no fatty or sugary toppings w/ balsamic vinegar, low sodium tuna, and sabra hummus everyday. I also will have cottage cheese and baby bell light, and a piece of 86% dark chocolate when craving sweets. I want to cut out processed food entirely but I go to college where Sodexo services our cafeteria so it's nearly impossible to eat outside store-bought foods since I can't cook to avoid everything the cafeteria serves. I know I'm not eating enough and I need to burn off this belly fat. Any ideas?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs do not cause you to gain weight nor are they unhealthy. There is no reason to be so restrictive in your diet. If you are happy with your weight, you might want to work on body composition instead of fat loss. Start a progressive resistance program (I'd suggest heavy lifting with a beginner program such as new rules of lifting for women, starting strength, or strong lifts).

You should set your calories on MFP to maintain (if you still want to lose a little more scale weight, set it to half a pound a week), and eat to your calorie. Don't be so restrictive with the types of food that you eat. And add in more lean proteins such as chicken and other fish. And if you aren't hitting your calorie goal, you can easily up your calories by switching out your low fat/light dairy products with full fat versions.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

Eat what you want, stay under your goals. Calories in vs. calories out.

And artificial sugars are the same as the ones in your blueberries.
  • tristamdavis
    tristamdavis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How do you maintain sugar below your MFP goal? Mine is 22g and I am hitting about 40-45 with one serving of fruit (berries or a lunchbox sized apple) and my all-natural organic plain Greek yogurt and all of my veggies.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a profile picture to be taken seriously here.