Weightloss from illness.

Options
Starting 4 weeks ago I was hospitalized with severe Cellulitis for 8 days (IV antibiotics) then resting at home (oral ABs). I lost 20 pounds (from 228) and am still gradually going down. My appetite is still very meager and as it comes back I worry about reboundint. While I'm ecstatic about being thinner I would like some tips on keeping the weight off as I recover.
Thanks!

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Stick to a given calorie deficit. Hope you feel better
  • NMAussieFan
    Options
    I hope you continue to recover quickly. About 5 years ago, I lost about 15 lbs when I had a severe intestinal infection that required surgery. I was NPO or clear liquids only for most of the 2 weeks I was hospitalized and unable to eat much for a couple of weeks after that. What I found was that the lack of food had slowed my metabolism, plus, as I started to feel better I felt like I could splurge, so splurge I did (you only live once mentality). I gained back what I had lost, plus a few pounds, within months. My tip would be to stick to your healthy eating plan and exercise as you are able. And don't be discouraged if you gain a little back. Good luck.
  • newsuzig821
    Options
    I had a similar situation- I was hospitalized for severe dehydration with the flu and lost 10 lbs around New Years. The first two weeks I had very little appetite and mainly ate broths, green smoothies, fruits and very small meals. I also drank tons of water and green tea. When I was able to, I started walking and doing some light yoga and stretching. Because I was so immobile from the flu, I developed a blood clot in my leg and have been unable to get back into running or strength training, so I also have to use new strategies to try and keep the weight off as I continue to recover. It is now one month later, and I have managed to keep the weight off and lost an additional two pounds. I went into my recovery with the expectation that regaining the weight was likely (since it was water weight), but that I would just continue my healthy practices and see what happened. The main thing for me has been to stay hydrated with water and tea and to keep drinking the green smoothies and fruit smoothies for breakfasts as well as snacks. I eat a homemade vegetable soup for lunch. I try to include nuts, Greek yogurt, tuna, eggs and beans as protein, but nothing really heavy. I've been logging everything into My Fitness Pal and making sure I get a good balance of nutrients and don't go below what I should be eating. I actually feel better now than before I got sick! Being patient while recovering is the hardest part- one can't just charge back into exercise or being "back to normal". I decided to use this recovery as an opportunity to really nurture myself by meditating, doing gentle exercise and eating things that would boost my immune system. Good luck on your recovery and take care of yourself!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sorry you've been sick and hopefully you're on the road to recovery. I had a bacterial intestinal infection that ended up in my liver 3 years ago and lost 35 lbs in about 6 weeks................couldn't really keep anything down. My husband had to practically force me to drink a little liquid meal replacement but I couldn't even get one of them down a day...................really awful illness.

Anyway, when I was finally cured and eating again, I just ate what tasted good and tried to restore my health. All the weight came back but it took about six months. My doctor advised me to eat what I could and regain my health and strength then worry about the weight later. When I finally got a clean bill of health I started dieting and eating more nutritious meals and have lost it again and more.

It really messes with your metabolism so be aware of that and do the best you can. I finally have my metabolism back where it belongs three years later.

I had symptoms for over a year, so hopefully you'll recover more quickly than that.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well you will need fuel to heal. Maybe you've got enough stored already, but what did the hospital/doctor recommend?

Then try low carb and walking.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    People typically rebound in weight after illness. And you need to build up your strength.
  • gardenesseligson
    Options
    After being hospitalized with pneumonia and losing weight, I had very little appetite for about three months post hospitalization, so focused on recuperation eating healthy things instead of junk. Using a food diary helped a great deal in educating me about healthy eating choices. And the increase in energy since I've eliminated most junk from my diet has motivated me to continue to eat good things instead of garbage.
    Good health and good luck to you.