New food scale

Options
Hey guys, I want to get a new scale. Can anyone recommend what you have and hopefully love?

The biggest issues I am looking to rectify from my current scale are:

- If I put my plate on the scale and try to weigh items using the tare function, the plate obscures the display. Ideally I want one where I can see the display, or one that has a hold function so I can remove the plate and still see the weight (mine goes back to zero).

- Easy switching between grams and ounces. Mine has a button on the bottom and it's clunky to use. I would love to have it on top.

Replies

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Starfit kitchen scale, $24.99 CND (Likely less in the US, as most things are)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/starfrit-5-kg-digital-kitchen-scale-0424076p.html

This is what I use, and I highly recommend it. I've had it for about a year now, and using it daily I've only had to change the batteries once. It has a button on the top to change from grams to oz easily, and if you put weight on it before turning on (i.e. a container, or food item you are going to add condiments to) it starts at 0. I feel like all food scales do the latter, but as I've only had the one I'm unsure, so I thought I'd throw it in there. It also has a mode to switch to mL and fluid oz, but I'm not sure how that part really works.
  • rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got the Mainstay digital scale with removable stainlesss steel bowl from WalMart for $20. I like having the bowl, so I don't have to tare it.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I got the Mainstay digital scale with removable stainlesss steel bowl from WalMart for $20. I like having the bowl, so I don't have to tare it.

I could see that. What I like about the tare is not having to use an extra container though.

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I use the OXO Good Grips® Food Scale. Got it at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon.
    It's great because it has a display you can pull out from the base in case you have a large plate or bowl.

-T.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    I use the OXO Good Grips® Food Scale. Got it at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon.
    It's great because it has a display you can pull out from the base in case you have a large plate or bowl.

-T.

I love that feature, thanks! I see a couple of buttons on the top, does one of those change from oz to grams?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This one may be a little more expensive, but it has features that most food scales do not: it provides nutritional values on individual foods. There is a food category list included so the scale knows what it is weighing and what the values for that food are. I think I got mine at Target, if I'm not mistaken, about 5 years ago. It was not $62.00. It was much less.

Here it is. I love, love, love mine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Kitchen-Food-Scale-Computes-Calories-Fat-Carbohydrates-Grams-Ounces-NEW-/271753947193?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3f45cc2839
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love that feature, thanks! I see a couple of buttons on the top, does one of those change from oz to grams?

You got it. I use oz for meats and g for pretty much everything else.
    There are 2 different models that they stock at the local Bed, Bath & Beyond. Main difference as far as I can tell is max weight it will handle.

-T.