Olive oil, Butter spray, Coconut oil, HELP

Options
I use olive oil on a lot of things, i use it as a sauce on my noodles with garlic if i feel like cheating a little, i try not to use butter spray even though it says it has NOTHING, not even calories and i haven't really looked into that. I hear coconut oil is really really good for you and I've looked at some at stores i go to but it's so pricey! (13$ for a 14 oz). It may not be pricey to some, but to a 23$ year old, yikes!

What would you suggest to use when it comes to cooking eggs, or just needing to get the pan ready to lay something on it.

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't eat eggs, or butter, or bacon, but........the only thing I liked to cook my eggs in when I ate them was butter. Or bacon grease.

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, cooking spray has about 7 calories in a one-second spray.

For eggs, I usually spray a loop of regular ol' Pam around the pan and then rub it around with a paper towel. Some comes off, some stays on, the eggs don't stick.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I cook my eggs in coconut oil or butter and just log it into my diary. I like how they taste that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't use butter spray, but I do use butter...and Olive Oil...and coconut oil; It just depends on the application. It's all fat (dietary fat is essential) so it is calorie dense and a little goes a long way...measure it out, log it, enjoy.

Also, coconut oil is very delicious...but most of the "health benefits" are anecdotal at best. Hell, in the 90s the stuff was banned from movie theaters and was pretty much the devil...now it's some kind of magical health food...go figure.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have all of those in my pantry, and use each and every one. It entirely depends on what I am making. Fat is fat is fat, all of it coming in a 9 kcal/gram. Watch the amount you are using, log it in, and move on.
  • elenacolette
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Well, I don't eat eggs, or butter, or bacon, but........the only thing I liked to cook my eggs in when I ate them was butter. Or bacon grease.

I've been eating a lot of egg whites lately, and i don't like having to spray some butter in the pan, i feel uncomfortable doing it. I dislike bacon a lot.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil on a lot of things, i use it as a sauce on my noodles with garlic if i feel like cheating a little, i try not to use butter spray even though it says it has NOTHING, not even calories and i haven't really looked into that. I hear coconut oil is really really good for you and I've looked at some at stores i go to but it's so pricey! (13$ for a 14 oz). It may not be pricey to some, but to a 23$ year old, yikes!

What would you suggest to use when it comes to cooking eggs, or just needing to get the pan ready to lay something on it.

I have this:8zkjeaz6zq6m.jpg

I fill it with whatever oil I like and then go. It takes a LONG time to go through 1/4 of oil this way and I use it everyday. And it's cheap, just 12 bucks on amazon.
  • darlenegrace999
    darlenegrace999 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Use the right pan and you don't have to add anything. Salt and Pepper, and that's it.
  • Redinky22
    Options
    There's a lot of benefit to eating organic butter, coconut oil and real,100% olive oil. The butter spray is totally man made and NOT good for you. Just watch the amount you use and you will be fine.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Redinky22 wrote: »
    There's a lot of benefit to eating organic butter, coconut oil and real,100% olive oil. The butter spray is totally man made and NOT good for you. Just watch the amount you use and you will be fine.

The butter, coconut oil and olive oil are all totally man made as well.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    go to www.vitacost.com
    they have extra virgin , organic, coldpressed.... coconut oil ..i just ordered 54 ozs for 18.00... their name brands....NUTIVA is the best and the best deal....

good luck..i use coconut oil for everything...i am a walking miracle...beat high blood pressure...beat type 2 diabetes....got off completely of insulin...(49 units a night)...

and some other things...... holler if I can help in any way..... FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT.......i have lost 120 pounds since June 2014
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You can use whatever kind of fat you like, just weigh it if it's solid or measure it if it's liquid. I use cooking spray for eggs if I have to make them (I hate eggs so it's rare) but do keep in mind that it has calories. They're allowed to round down because the serving size is a 1/3 second spray and that gives fewer than 5 calories. But an 8 ounce bottle contains about 800 calories (according to google anyway). Personally I don't try to log it because I really do use about the serving size, but I know of people who were just pouring it on stuff. Same goes for anything else that claims 0 calories, except water.

For most things I use oil or butter.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My Dietician told me to buy a spray bottle to put some olive oil in and spray my pan instead of pouring it. You can get a spray bottle at the dollar store 1 spray is about 1/2 teaspoon which amounts to about 30 calories a spray.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and butter. Both good, heart healthy fats. All you really need.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi near you? I don't know if they're going to keep stocking it forever, or if it was part of the whole sell diet food to resolutioners thing that happens every January, but they had coconut oil around $5 or 6. Reasonable enough to try and see if you want to use it or not.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I always use a half a tablespoon of olive oil when I cook and log it. I've never tried the spray, maybe I will.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I use bacon grease or butter to cook my eggs.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Any oil you like, as long as you measure and tracking. When I feel like having the extra oily taste I use butter or coconut oil, but I cook with a ceramic pan so no oil is really needed :D
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I put my olive oil into a little spouted bottle that just shakes out a few drops - a bit more than the spray, around half a teaspoon a shake. Works well for me for most of my sautéing.

For me the oil choice really depends on what flavour I'm going for. Butter for eggs, pancakes, French toast. High quality peanut oil for any Asian flavours, olive oil for almost everything else.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Use the right pan and you don't have to add anything. Salt and Pepper, and that's it.

This. I invested in a really good non-stick pan, I make delicious omelettes and scrambled eggs every day with no oil :)