Sesame chicken without rice

Options
today I ate some chinese from a local joint called Asian Buffet. had a delivery made. sadly they don't know what the calories are in their food, and so I'm stuck trying to guess. This dish is harder to guess because most people eat it with fried rice. I don't.

I just order the Sesame Chicken and it does come with that sweet sauce they put on it. I know this isn't health food but I like to eat it on occasion anyway. I also like to know how much damage control I need to do afterward so I can eat it on occasion without sabotaging my efforts at weight loss.

Anybody have any idea how to work out the calories or at least a reasonable guess? I picked what sounds like a good option on myfitness pal but don't know if its right.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Look up some chain food places online, to find something similar. Maybe Panda Express? They'd probably have calories listed by entree, side, etc. Not all combined in one dish. Its an approximation, and would give you a general idea.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I don't know about an item like that I search for it in MFP and choose the restaurant version. It may not be as accurate as logging your own meals, but at least it gets you somewhat close.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's a tough one when you don't know the ingredients. The last chinese take out food I ate was from Panda Express. It was 700 calories, 37g Protein, 26g Fat, and 113g carbs with 4g fiber. Was it breaded? That adds a lot!

That was white steamed rice with two orders of string bean chicken breast (their orange chicken has almost 2.5 times as many calories).

Anway I would attempt to overestimate the caloric level and only eat it when it fits.

Good luck.
  • jamesc9282014
    Options
    I am in the same situation! Trying to avoid it is hard to do, but I'm thinking of trying to make my own, although I know it would not be the same