Do you log cheat days?

Options
Superbowl is going to be my first real cheat day since I started using MFP. Just wondering what your thoughts were on cheat days. Do you log what you eat honestly, log a set number of calories, or log nothing at all?

I'm thinking about just logging 1200cal (my base before exercise) knowing i'm going to eat way more. I'm afraid logging what I actually eat is going to make me hate myself every time I look at it down the road.

You thoughts... thanks.

Replies

• crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i log everything i eat so when i look back i can see what i have done to achieve my goal. it ain't cheating if you are being honest :D
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! Log it! Enjoy the food, enjoy the company. If you end up with a gain in the following week, you'll be able to refect and know that "Oh yes, That was Super Bowl Sunday" and not stress about it. You'll be bloated and whatnot from all the sodium, but at least you'll know why. Don't be afraid to log.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I log everything... you might as well continue with the habit of logging your food. If you're going to do a "cheat day", then you better get those "hate myself" feelings out of the way. Eat, enjoy, log, move on to the next day as usual. That's all there is to it. :flowerforyou:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log it to the best of my ability (estimating on dips and serving sizes and such). I may not do anything about it, but I like to have the numbers there for future reference.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Log it the best you can.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I log every. single. thing.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i log it sometimes if i feel like it when i do its probably not 100% accurate log thouigh
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm afraid logging what I actually eat is going to make me hate myself every time I look at it down the road.

You thoughts... thanks.

That's good motivation. I use this technique when I'm especially bad. I look at all the food/drinks I've consumend and shame myself. It's a good reminder as to why you shouldn't pig out.

On that note, however, it's my personal philosophy that you have to induldge every now and then. If you don't let yourself have treats every now and again you'll fall off the weight loss train over and over. (Even if you feel bad about it afterwords)
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I log it to the best of my ability, accept I'm going to be over my daily limit, and move on. I'm going to a superbowl party so I'll just have to make educated guesses when I log!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    First off, don't think of it as a cheat day. It's just a day in which you are going to be even more flexible than usual. You can and need to learn to fit those into your overall plan, because this is for the rest of your life :)

Log it all. Be proud of yourself for another day of tracking. Having complete logs helps you understand yourself and you can look back and calculate your actual calorie needs.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    How is feeling shame and guilt over food ever going to help you learn to have a normal relationship /with/ it? Log everything. Don't feel bad about. Even the most fit and healthy people overeat or eat high-caloric foods occasionally, and it's fine. One day of going over your goal is not going to make you gain weight. It's what you're eating like consistently that matters. Don't hate yourself over food, that's going down a really dark path that it's incredibly hard to get off.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    l
    I log everything... you might as well continue with the habit of logging your food. If you're going to do a "cheat day", then you better get those "hate myself" feelings out of the way. Eat, enjoy, log, move on to the next day as usual. That's all there is to it. :flowerforyou:

This sums up my feelings on the matter very nicely!! Enjoy the day!!

• cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would log it too, it is actually quite funny when you see how easy it is to eat so much. I think my fav 3 course dinner plus half bottle of wine comes out at 3500 cals! Always good to have some time out! Just get quickly back on the waggon the next day!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I find it's especially important to log everything on those days. You may hate yourself or you may realize that the "cheat" wasn't as bad as you thought. (If you don't eat more than 3600 calories over your maintenance amount then you can't have gained a pound of fat, okay? Your scale can be up by more than that just do to the increased sodium and carbs that tend to go hand in hand with higher calorie "cheat" days, but that will go away after a few days if you go back to eating your goal amount.)

The most important thing, though, is what you do the next day. Dust yourself off and get right back to it, without any guilt, if possible!
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try and estimate (if I don't know, I put in 3,000). Otherwise I won't know what my running net calorie intake is. There have been times when one cheat day has negated 2 weeks of deficits.....I don't want to be surprised by that just because I didn't log
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I always log everything to the best of my ability. If possible its better to have a cheat "meal" not a cheat "day", but if you do just save it for rare special occasions. But don't feel guilty about it after.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals, once a week I'll allow dinner out or KFC but try to eat less during the day so I stay within my calories but if I don't then so be it. I have lost 10lbs in 5 weeks so it's not holding me back as the rest of the week I stay about 200-400 under my calorie goal.

This is the rest of my life, I'm not going to live my life without the odd indulgence.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Usually not. Cheat day is a cheat day. I do try to be sensible about it.
  • shortiequinn
    shortiequinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I should log and move on. I did this over the holidays but kept my calories in check because I was working and didn't have time to eat too much.

Bring on the Beer and Wings :)
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    LOG ALL THE THINGS

lol. That's a yes. Enjoy it, log it, go on about your life. :smile: