Chronic Back Pain Management

Options
2»

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I have had low back pain (since high school) and nothing worked till I went to the chiropractor.

I take a glucosamine, chondroitin, msm supplement (3 in 1), and fish oil for my joints.

This may sound hooky, but do you "carry the weight of the world on your shoulders"? Try to let go of any blocks in your life that may also be inhibiting your enjoyment of life. (See books by Louise Hay, ie "You Can Heal Your Life"."

Sending good vibes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad car accident a few years back, and after almost a year of every type of PT, I discovered Hellerworks.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis last year. I find with walking almost daily helps. Good luck on your journey:)
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I had a really bad car accident a few years back, and after almost a year of every type of PT, I discovered Hellerworks.

What is Hellerworks? I googled it but only found rail transportation lol
  • coppertop_4
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for my back/neck everyday for a week. Some are 10min twice was 30min (cause it felt great)
    One full week of added Vitamin D3 (said to help with pain, and needed cause I'm in a northern climate and don't see the sun) and 4 days of added fish oil and glucosamine/condritant. My pain for the last three days has stayed around a level 3. This is progress!!! Now I need to keep it up and see what happens -- usually my body screams at me around TTOM but I'm hoping to have the upper hand!!!

The yoga I do was given to me by my chiropractor "Prana Maya vino yoga therapy with Gary Kraftsow" it's not a fancy production- just real people showing you what to do.
  • coppertop_4
    Options
    I skipped yoga yesterday.
    Pain up to 6 by dinner time.
    Not cool!
    Yoga and bio freeze this morning!
  • coppertop_4
    Options
    Pain level 1!!! Holy smokes I can deal with this!!!!!
    My chiropractor is awesome!!!!!
    Followed up today by a massage and use of an mr4 cold laser treatment. I feel really good!!!! I needed a nap after treatment and drank over 12 glasses of water cause I was thirsty! Slept like a baby! Woke up feeling pretty good. A bit stiff from massage/laser but it should go away tomorrow.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I had a cervical spine (neck) injury several years ago. I live with nerve damage, chronic pain, and limited neck movement now.

In terms of exercise, I love aqua because I can jump around without the pain of impact. I've also had a trainer go through weight lifting stuff with me so I know what is safe, and what isn't. Otherwise I stay away from high impact stuff.

Honestly, I've found working out to be really freeing. I feel like I have control of my body again, which is really great.
  • sjeanpayd
    sjeanpayd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had two back surgeries and was left with numb toes. I've been taking a weekly yoga class for many years now and I would highly recommend trying that. The numb toes are mostly gone now, though it did take awhile for them to feel better. Someone did mention stretching, and that helps as well. Good luck!
  • coppertop_4
    Options
    Cold laser. Maybe did too much too soon. The pain stayed around 6 all week. But if can feel more movement.
    Pain around 4 this morning. Down to a 3 after yoga and roller. Now to decide if the cold laser will be worth the pain or not-
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have this, have since my early twenties, and will for the rest of my life. I listen to my body at all times. If my spine don't like it, I don't do it.
  • coppertop_4
    Options
    I finally got a new office chair! Another positive for my spine!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    What about a headset???? You're not still holding a phone with your shoulder are you?
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off horses one too many times and I have some lower back pain that flares up often. The best things that have helped it for me were to:

1) Lose weight - the lower my weight the less my back hurts. I've lost 40 pounds and there is a HUGE difference.

2) Get more active and build muscle. The stronger your body is the better able it is able to support your posture and your spine. I run, do boxing, and occasionally some yoga (which is great for stretching your back out).

3) The other stuff (massages and chiro) help short term, but the top two really are the only things that make it better long term.

I also had some neck issues from falling on my head once, and the same list vastly improved my neck/shoulder region. Now I rarely have pain.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I fell off a horse in 2005. I did not get back on because I couldn't even stand up! No worries I continued to ride and still do! Yay horses. Anyways turned out I bulged my L4/5 disc. It took awhile to figure that out but i just rehabbed myself. And at 14 years old you kind of just bounce back. I did struggle with some pain when id lay a certain way etc. When I started losing weight and exercising (building core strength) I noticed a big difference since July 2012. I did re injure it last October though somehow between a mud run and soccer. Things got inflammed and was pushing on nerves. Quick round of steroids from the doctor and working closely with my personal trainer to restabalize my core did the trick and I'm good as new.

I would advise you to talk to a doctor and/or get a few opinions. I'm not a fan of chiropractors but if you are go for it. Physical therapy may be an option, etc. Keep pushng for answers until you find some. Every injury is different and no one can diagnose you on the internet. Good luck!
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You mentioned cramming a phone between ear and shoulder while doing computer work, this can cause repetive strain injuries. You may want to get an ergonomic assessment and get a headset to wear at your desk. Working the way you are describing will only further complicate your pain and may lead to further injuries.
  • stephnic4
    stephnic4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have chronic neck pain. Fish Oil has helped me quite a bit.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I just realized I almost always sit cross legged in chairs. It seems to help my spine. But a good office chair definitely helps!
  • christinechinchen
    Options
    I have arthritis all over spine I am in morphine based tablets,but just started pilates been doing it since beginning of February lost 1 inch of my waist & stomach.
    I have already lost 4st on my own at home no slimming clubs.
    There is days I cannot move but try to keep going.
    But the pilates is helping my joints, but sorry to hear your in pain