How do you estimate calories burned?

Options
I just worked out with a recorded program. It got my heart really pumping and I can feel muscles that will probably be sore tomorrow. LOL How do I estimate the calories burned from this workout? I'd like to do it three times/week and alternate it with dog walking/training sessions, which is how I get a lot of my exercise.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What was the exercise? which recorded program?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It was "Faithful Workouts." I used 3-pound weights for resistance. I'm a newbie at this kind of organized workout thing, so bear with me, but there were exercises that worked the arms and the legs, as well as some core exercises. I would have to guess it would be considered a beginner/light workout. (I'm asking for respectful/helpful comments only, please, from whomever responds.)
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It would just basically be some sort of aerobics/calisthenics. 3 lbs isn't enough to activate the anaerobic chain.

Hard to say more than that since we don't know your HR, rest periods, etc.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I guess that's my question . . . I'm not asking you to figure out how much I've burned--I'd like to figure out how to estimate the calories burned. That is, what information do I need in order to be able to do it. You mentioned heart rate and rest periods, so that's a good start. Thank you. :)
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Usually such programs would give you an idea of how much calorie you would burn on an average.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I would say aerobics general and add the minutes you did this :)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'll check the video and see if I've missed the guesstimate of calories burned. Queenliz, your suggestion sounds like a good solution for tonight, for sure. I'll be back for more advice when I'm better informed--thanks everyone!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor helps a lot with steady-state aerobic activity. You can find a good one for around $70 or so, and a not-quite-as-good one for around $40-50. It's definitely worth investing in one if you plan to continue the activities.