Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Mitzki5 wrote: »
    I did find the Kretschmar makes a low sodium turkey. It is about 1/2 the regular. Still high though.

I know that I would never do this for lunch meat. It is a good idea for a healthier food but I know myself and would give up deli turkey before roasting my own lunch meats.

Did you mean to quote something else? Anyway, I hear you on roasting. I have basically never used my oven and I'm proud of myself for cooking veggies in a pan every night.

Just get some lower sodium deli meat if it bothers you.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Opps....my bad. Yes, meant to quote something else.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have always heard you don't want to much in your diet but I don't really know.

Well, there are health problems like hypertension that are associated with excessive consumption and we're all pretty much excessive consumers.

You have to have hypertension for excessive sodium to affect it. Sodium won't cause hypertension.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I suggest just buying a turkey breast and roasting it yourself.

I am done with processed foods, and all the Franken -Chemicals as preservatives. That way you control the sodium- none, and per a pound, it is far cheaper.

Usually, I just buy a rotisserie chicken, break it down, it lasts me a week.

Done with processed foods, yet you buy rotisserie chickens. Do you know what the word "processed" actually means? I'm guessing the answer is no...
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    I have always heard you don't want to much in your diet but I don't really know.

Well, there are health problems like hypertension that are associated with excessive consumption and we're all pretty much excessive consumers.

You have to have hypertension for excessive sodium to affect it. Sodium won't cause hypertension.

Doesn't it?
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I like deli meats. They're perfect for meat and cheese roll ups. Also tasty in my eggs.

As for salt, I have issues keeping my bp steady when I lose weight and have low blood pressure attacks. But as someone said above, sodium is a necessary electrolyte.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    High sodium is a factor for a only a small percentage of the U.S. population.
  • sugarpeas
    sugarpeas Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello! I work in a deli so I'll give you a couple hints.
    This is Canadian based, but I'm sure it's similar if not the same in certain places, specifically the U.S.

If you are watching your sodium stick with chicken. The one from my deli counter is roughly 16% sodium, where ham is about 34%. Turkey is mid-range.

If you are watching fat intake chicken and turkey are you best bet.

Gluten? Freybe is gluten free, as well as a lot of other salami's.

'Natural' is a very funny term any where but quite often used in the deli market.
    Natural could mean it's tastes natural, has some ( or 1! ) natural ingredient, or is actually natural.
    Natural often has more sodium.
    Brands are starting to list an ingredient called 'celery extract' but I'm not actually sure if this is a better natural source of preservative.

If you are looking for nitrate free I know in Canada most lilydale's products are.

That's just at the top of my head.
    if you have any other questions regarding deli meat or products in the deli I could look more into it tomorrow.

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    sugarpeas wrote: »
    This is Canadian based, but I'm sure it's similar if not the same in certain places, specifically the U.S.

If you are watching your sodium stick with chicken. The one from my deli counter is roughly 16% sodium, where ham is about 34%. Turkey is mid-range.

'Natural' is a very funny term any where but quite often used in the deli market.
    Natural could mean it's tastes natural, has some ( or 1! ) natural ingredient, or is actually natural.
    Brands are starting to list an ingredient called 'celery extract' but I'm not actually sure if this is a better natural source of preservative.

If you are looking for nitrate free I know in Canada most lilydale's products are.

if you have any other questions regarding deli meat or products in the deli I could look more into it tomorrow.

Love getting info from a real person who has good info. Thanks for posting.One thing I notice in deli meats,the turkey keeps longer. Maybe because it has more sodium?

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    sugarpeas wrote: »

Love getting info from a real person who has good info. Thanks for posting.One thing I notice in deli meats,the turkey keeps longer. Maybe because it has more sodium?

Salt is a natural preservative, and salt and smoke were the original ways of preservation. :)

In the US, I don't think those brands exist, at least not around here.

For those who are gluten-free, it is wise to drill the people behind the counter about their procedures. I've seen some gnarly stuff happening back there that can cause cross contamination and symptoms to those who are extra sensitive.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I suggest just buying a turkey breast and roasting it yourself.

I am done with processed foods, and all the Franken -Chemicals as preservatives. That way you control the sodium- none, and per a pound, it is far cheaper.

Usually, I just buy a rotisserie chicken, break it down, it lasts me a week.

There are brands that are minimally processed.

And FWIW: that turkey that you're buying at the grocery store is also full of sodium and preservatives. Check out the ingredients.

Unless you're going to a farm, picking out your turkey and having them butcher it for you it's going to have sodium and preservatives in it.