Treadmill showing 170 pulse?

Options
I'm not a good runner at all but I was doing 20 minutes at 4.5 mph, jogging (my stride is tiny lol) and my pulse kept coming up as 172 on the treadmill. I wasn't breathing that hard and I could have worked harder too, I think. I mean probably the best way to see if the sensor is way off is to go in and try it out resting again

I have a resting pulse of 65-75 normally. At my age est max pulse =200

Is this a common problem? Or is my heart just that unfit? =(

Replies

• shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Running uses the biggest muscles we have which in turn need a larger blood flow therefore a higher heart rate when their been used. My heart rate when running is between 162 and 175. At first I doubted it but a good old fashioned finger on the carotid artery revealed my HRM wasn't lying.

I'm not unfit but I'm no pro runner either!

Cheers,
    Shaun.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    170 is not unrealistic while running, especially if you are not used to running often. But I would not trust the treadmill. Just take your pulse and check, it is much more accurate. The easiest to do while jogging is for me to check the pulse at the side of your neck. Count the pulses in 10 seconds, then multiply by 6.
  • miaelissa
    miaelissa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 170 when jogging
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    People come in a wide variety, and not being used to going for speed can be a factor as well. Same goes if you're going over or the machine is simulating nastier terrain than you're used to. Trust the treadmill numbers but do not necessarily take them as a sign of being unfit - you are not the six foot tree jogging next to you.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. My estimated max HR is 190 but according to my HRM I've exceeded this on more than one occasion when pushing hard. Around 170 would be normal for me when jogging.
  • Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I routinely hit 170 while running, but while I'm doing an exercise that I'm more familiar with (cycling) it takes a bit longer, and a bit more effort for me to reach it, but again, it's not uncommon. If you're working hard and moving a lot of those big muscle groups, your heart rate is going to get up there. I've reached 160 just doing squats at a fast pace with a decent weight.
  • jubillante
    jubillante Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys =)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Treadmill readings are usually jacked up. Get a HR monitor.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Treadmill readings are usually jacked up. Get a HR monitor.

There are differences in the formulas used between HRMs and equipment ... the beat counts are usually within 1-2 bpm.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    When I'm running, I vary between 155 and 185 depending on my speed and effort. When I'm all-out sprinting, I break through my "max heart rate" per my HRM. (I've seen my HRM register as high as 205, when my max heart rate is supposed to only be 195.)