Eating So Little...Are you used to it now?

Options
13»

Replies

• RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I'm sorry it turned out so long!!! Have no time to edit it now as I have a toddler pulling on my legs waiting to go for a walk, so sorry... that's my quota of MFP posting for the month :laugh:
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I used to get the opposite in real life, people would see my full plate of food and go "I thought you were on a diet, you can't eat that much on a diet" or "how can you expect to lose weight eating all that?" and other things along those lines but I found that with eating the right things I needed to eat a lot more to get all my calories (or points as I do Weight Watchers) in. They just couldn't get their heads around the fact I could eat proper meals (and even have dessert at times!) and still lose weight. Even now I get told I should be eating nothing but salad if I want to lose weight.

I'm another with some vanity reasons for wanting to lose weight. I want to look good. I want to be able to get back into my nice clothes. I want to go to events with my hubby and not stick out like a sore thumb because I'm twice the size of the other wives there. I need to lose weight for heath reasons too and they are obviously important but sometimes, rightly or wrongly, it's those vanity reasons that make me keep at it when I'm struggling.

You sound like you're doing fantastic on your lifestyle change :smile: It's very easy to say you'll make changes, sticking to it is the hard part.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I used to get the opposite in real life, people would see my full plate of food and go "I thought you were on a diet, you can't eat that much on a diet" or "how can you expect to lose weight eating all that?" and other things along those lines but I found that with eating the right things I needed to eat a lot more to get all my calories (or points as I do Weight Watchers) in. They just couldn't get their heads around the fact I could eat proper meals (and even have dessert at times!) and still lose weight. Even now I get told I should be eating nothing but salad if I want to lose weight.

I'm another with some vanity reasons for wanting to lose weight. I want to look good. I want to be able to get back into my nice clothes. I want to go to events with my hubby and not stick out like a sore thumb because I'm twice the size of the other wives there. I need to lose weight for heath reasons too and they are obviously important but sometimes, rightly or wrongly, it's those vanity reasons that make me keep at it when I'm struggling.

You sound like you're doing fantastic on your lifestyle change :smile: It's very easy to say you'll make changes, sticking to it is the hard part.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Amazing post! Thanks for sharing.

And yes, you do get used to it. Or, at least I do. It's amazing how much less food it takes to satisfy me if I actually eat nutritious things, mindfully... rather than gorging on junk at lightning speed.
    . Yep-- that is me too!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank you for sharing this. So many times I have to tell myself that I may not have the legs of a super model... But they carry me where I still need to go. I could have ended up in a chair myself at 47 years old. And still can (I have some bone diseases and issues with DDD and osteopenia and arthritis) And lucky to be walking after a horse accident as well. But you've shown me, that a good attitude is possible. If/when it happens to me. By the way.. I give you a whoot whoot, for your success thus far. Great job your doing. :smile:
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I did post on my newsfeed about it for two reasons: First I was surprised how many calories were there in a burger, chips and coke (haven't had those in months!). And second - after few months on MFP and losing 20lb I had that confidence that I'm good at it and I can concur everything, I "knew it all":laugh: :laugh: Oh bless my ignorance!! That burger craving caught me by surprise and dragged me in, and I didn't even try and resist, surely I was an expert at losing weight now. It came to show me that I'm not immune from emotional eating even after weeks of logging. It came to show me the temptations will always be there and that sometimes I just want to give in to them. I came to show me I have so much more to learn... I wouldn't call eating one Burger King meal and binge though, and wouldn't call commenting about it a pity party. Any body who knows me longer than a day :wink: would probably agree that I am a fighter, not a pity-party-feel-sorry-for-me person. As my husband says "You are one of the most stubborn people I've met. Glad to see you finally put it to this worthy cause" :laugh:

Yes, your words were the inspiration for this post. However, you were NOT the inspiration for my comments about binge eating...or hosting a pity party. What you posted about your burger experience was perfect...both yesterday and today. You weren't asking anyone for pity or justification to overeat.

When I celebrated my birthday in February, I planned well ahead for that lunch time date. I called the restaurant and discussed the menu with the manager and the chef. They were incredibly helpful and made sure that I got 'my treat meal' of Coconut Shrimp and more, while still staying under my daily calorie limit. That was my birthday lunch...with leftovers for that night's dinner.

I also allow Sunday to be open for modification with a possible lunch out with my hubbie. That is called planning. We can plan for special treats, just like you would for any other part of your life. This is supposed to be a change for our future, not a time of trial with no hope of rewards beyond pounds and inches. This is a time to learn what works for us.

What I do...what I eat...cannot be the standard for anyone but me. Several folks said that I inspired them, but none of them should climb into a wheelchair to 'be like me'.
    I'm not even sure why I spent the last half an hour typing a reply. I guess I was a bit annoyed and felt judged, we've only known each other a day. :wink: We all have our reasons and our ways of doing it, my "get into size 12 jeans" is not less worthy of somebody else's "keep diabetes at bay" reason. Plus, some of us like our privacy here and may chose to leave out certain details. :wink:

I am not judging you or your motivation and goals. Everybody is different. We may have some things in common, but we are all unique individuals leading extraordinary lives. Most folks don't even know that they are special. Your hubbie called you stubborn. Sometimes, my hubbie lovingly calls me a *kitten*; and I respond with Butthead. That's just love talk between us, but it is his way of saying that I am stubborn too.

It seems that you and I have that in common. We are both alpha ladies. We want to get what we want and will fight for it. That is an extraordinary gift that can help us to take on and accomplish difficult tasks and be less willing to give up.

I think that you are on the right path...and yes...yesterday, you inspired me. :flowerforyou:
    Oh dear, I'm sorry it turned out so long!!! Have no time to edit it now as I have a toddler pulling on my legs waiting to go for a walk, so sorry... that's my quota of MFP posting for the month :laugh:

Go walk the baby, Sis. I will see you later. :wink:
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your post. There is so much wisdom in it. I'm so glad you will be able to get new knees! My mom had one knee done last June and just had the other one done two weeks ago. It makes a world of difference. You are doing so well with your weight loss. I understand what you are saying about every body being different.... I had an aunt who was in a wheel chair for a few years and she found that she couldn't eat as many calories as the average person(and lose/maintain her weight).
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I love this post.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Great job! Wishing you the best!
  • JMfan
    JMfan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like you know more than most people on here! Congrats to the new you currently and to come!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I hope you realize how awesome you are.
  • lauren31085
    lauren31085 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You have a great attitude, and I also don't pity people. I wish some had more self control, but no pity. :)
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like you know more than most people on here! Congrats to the new you currently and to come!

Believe me...even at 68, I still have a lot to learn. I have been many things in my life, ranging from a Navy Journalist to a registered nurse. I have been a mother, grandmother and (Heaven help me) the wife of a pastor. All of my experiences have helped me to become the strange, old lady that I am today. I wish some of those experiences would have taught me how to take better care of myself sooner or at least the motivation to try.

I can be stubborn, as I mentioned to my MFP sister earlier. I know that I can also be opinionated, and that isn't always a good thing. In fact, it can cause me a lot of trouble. I can be prideful, but I can also recognize when I am NOT the most important person in the room.

Mostly, I am just grateful that it isn't too late for me to undo some of the damage that I have done to my body with food.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Believe me...even at 68, I still have a lot to learn. I have been many things in my life, ranging from a Navy Journalist to a registered nurse. I have been a mother, grandmother and (Heaven help me) the wife of a pastor. All of my experiences have helped me to become the strange, old lady that I am today. I wish some of those experiences would have taught me how to take better care of myself sooner or at least the motivation to try.

I can be stubborn, as I mentioned to my MFP sister earlier. I know that I can also be opinionated, and that isn't always a good thing. In fact, it can cause me a lot of trouble. I can be prideful, but I can also recognize when I am NOT the most important person in the room.

Mostly, I am just grateful that it isn't too late for me to undo some of the damage that I have done to my body with food.

Amen! :smile:
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I must admit, I've MFP-stalked you for a few weeks now. I've read your blog a couple of times. I loved your post about giving your clothes away. It really touched me that God provided such great timing for all of it.

I'm sending you a friend request. I too eat 1000/day or less. I'm being strictly monitored by my doctor. Someone asked me today how I do it. My diary is public for anyone to look at my meals. I'm not ashamed of any of them. Sometimes I even make little notes that "explain" why I did something or didn't.

I'd like to point out just two things to whomever might be reading. The first is that by drinking enough water throughout the day and with your meals, you do maintain a feeling of fullness longer. I carry around a 24 oz Tervis Tumbler and it's always being refilled because I drink, on average, 108-120+ ounces of water every day. After a while, you start just craving water. I didn't think that would ever happen to me.

The second thing I'd like to point out is that my doctor told me to eat at least two cups of veggies twice a day. Two cups seems like a lot. At first, it was. But now, I'm finding that I'm actually eating closer to three, even though I still log two cups because I know what that portion looks like now and I sometimes overfill it. But there are so few calories in most veggies, especially if you don't smother them in cheese or some cream-based sauce. Or even salad dressing. I never learned to like dressing. I'm glad of that now. But people still look at me strangely when I don't pour on the Italian or the ranch over my already-perfect salad.

Like OP said earlier, it's about making choices today that will directly impact your life tomorrow. Somebody else said earlier today, choose your "hard" -- may as well be the one that makes you better.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!