Caffeine

Options
needernt
needernt Posts: 675 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
On one hand there are some statements about the advantages of drinking coffee pre-workout to enhance sports ability and fat burning. On the other hand occasionally I come across some articles on yahoo about the essentiality of omitting caffeine and sugar from our diet.

I get confused a bit which is it true?

Replies

• Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary about this. Two athletes of equal ability ran on the tredmill for a set distance both just having drunk water and their times recorded for a benchmark.
    The next day they did the same, one having had caffine and one not, but neither one knew who had had the caffine. The one that did had about a 20% increase in positive results.
    I tend to drink black coffee about an hour before training and feel it does work. Could be a placebo but it works for me
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I went from a cream and sugar coffee person to black and am so glad for it. I have never been told to decrease my caffeine intake from my doctor nor my coach during competition prep. My coach/nutritionist promised me "of all the foods I am taking away from you, I will never take your coffee". By then I had switched over to black.

It does help me tremendously since I have a slow metabolism (I do not credit coffee with fat loss) but with a slow metabolism comes often feeling sluggish. Like Pelamblue above, having a cup before a workout definitely helps me get through. I just make sure I am drinking enough water and getting enough potassium to avoid cramping/headaches since coffee is a diuretic.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    Both are probably true. Yes it will give you a performance boost, as well as other benefits. And yes you need to be careful about how much caffeine you have in your day to day diet, as it can cause problems. I limit myself to one cup of coffee per day. I guess the old saying 'all things in moderation' applies, and then it's all fine.
  • needernt
    Options
    What is wrong with caffeine anyway? what problem it might cause? Is it addictive?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is definitely addictive, at least for me. I think there is a slight increase in heart rate if you consume too much. I'm sure you can google any other potential issues. Like anything, it's fine when consumed in moderation.

That being said, I drink way too much.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If I don't get my coffee before my workout people will die. The lure of coffee is the only reason I get up at 5 a.m. to hit the gym! As to whether or not I get a "performance boost" from it I'm going to say no. It does make me more bearable to be around though.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    needernt wrote: »
    What is wrong with caffeine anyway? what problem it might cause? Is it addictive?

I can't have caffeine anymore because it causes my heart to race and makes my anxiety issues a lot worse.

But if it doesn't mess with you like that, it's not really a problem.

• goddessofawesome
    Options

For some people yes, it is addictive. When someone consumes a lot of caffeine daily and then try to stop they experience withdrawal symptoms.

I'm fortunate that I have never had that issue. I can go from drinking caffeinated coffee to decaf and have no ill effects.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is one of very few, perhaps only, stims widely accepted as beneficial. The increased fat burning is minimal at best, but it certainly can help with focus and intensity during your workout, and that's what really matters.

As for the yahoo articles... consider the source/author, the intended audience, and the goal/subjects used in the article.

IMO, caffeine is good, but it can be addictive to some, and can cause jitters/shakes if the dose is too high (which isn't good when you're under the bar).
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant to the central nervous system, and regular use of caffeine does cause mild physical dependence.

Symptoms of withdrawal from caffeine include:
    • headache
    • fatigue
    • anxiety
    • irritability
    • depressed mood
    • difficulty concentrating

It's a drug, yes. But it's socially acceptable and easy to obtain, so dependence isn't the big deal other drugs might be. Also, it's a milder stimulant than many Schedule II controlled substances.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    I watched a documentary about this. Two athletes of equal ability ran on the tredmill for a set distance both just having drunk water and their times recorded for a benchmark.
    The next day they did the same, one having had caffine and one not, but neither one knew who had had the caffine. The one that did had about a 20% increase in positive results.
    I tend to drink black coffee about an hour before training and feel it does work. Could be a placebo but it works for me
    Thats really cool, honestly I cant live without my coffee, it helps with my appetite and its something I reach for instead of a snack on some days
  • goddessofawesome
    Options

Serious question: How did neither one know who had the caffeine? Did they slip something clear and tasteless into the water? I mean if someone handed me a cup of coffee I'd totally know that I was getting caffeine!
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is addictive. Personally, I am easily effected by it - get really hyper after a cup of coffee. So using that energy in a workout doesn't seem like a bad idea. Some people are immune to the caffeine effect. It depends on you.

There are health benefits to coffee through antioxidants - it's the cream and sugar that you should stay away from.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Serious question: How did neither one know who had the caffeine? Did they slip something clear and tasteless into the water? I mean if someone handed me a cup of coffee I'd totally know that I was getting caffeine!
    good point lol

• jacksonpt
    Options

Yes, I'm sure they did something like that. Perhaps one got a caffeine pill and one got an "empty" pill. There are lots of ways to do it. I doubt one got coffee and one got hot chocolate, but neither were told which was which.
  • needernt
    Options
    If I don't get my coffee before my workout people will die. The lure of coffee is the only reason I get up at 5 a.m. to hit the gym! As to whether or not I get a "performance boost" from it I'm going to say no. It does make me more bearable to be around though.
    ]
    You wake up at 5 ti hit the gym!! What about breakfast and 2 hours time gap to digest it?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    What about breakfast and 2 hours time gap to digest it?

Hopefully trolling, but in case it's not...

Breakfast is unnecessary and should be guided by personal preference - if you eat, what you eat, how much you eat. Digestion should also be about personal preference - how much you eat, how you feel, etc.
  • needernt
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Based on everyone's opinions it doesn't seem a bad thing as such.
    It is not that everyone should abstain from coffee.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    ]
    You wake up at 5 ti hit the gym!! What about breakfast and 2 hours time gap to digest it?

Why do I need breakfast and 2 hours to digest it? I have never eaten before a morning workout. I have my breakfast afterwards.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You look like you might tan regularly. So here is an excuse to guzzle the addictive stuff:

Headline: Regular coffee drinking may block the worst skin cancer, a study shows

Quote: "The findings specifically applied to caffeinated coffee, not decaf."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/regular-coffee-drinking-may-block-the-worst-skin-cancer-a-study-shows/2015/01/27/b80e4454-a24f-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html