Need some advice on Protein Shakes

Options
Background: I've begun working out recently (and by recent I mean 3 days ago lol) and I want to really throw myself into it. I do Zumba at home but some of the moves I cant execute entirely because I have knee pain. So I realize I need to build the strength and endurance of the muscles surrounding my knee to alleviate this.

Now that actual question: I know many people drink protein shakes when they are trying to work at building muscle, but I have read that if you get your protein from your food, you dont necessarily need to drink a protein drink pre or post workout. I used to drink them when I initially started working out two years ago, but it was more of a convience sort of thing (Fruit+ almond milk+ weigh protein= 5 minute breakfast!) and it wasnt for the purpose of working out. That was more of a perk I guess. With the way Im eating (or trying to eat better anyway) I get close to my protein goals each day from my food. Should I still have a protein drink when I workout?

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    If you hit your protein macros, there's no need to supplement with protein powder, drinks etc.

I just use my protein powder on days I don't meet my macros, or days I feel like having something sweet and chocolaty!
  • Icebunny33
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    If you hit your protein macros, there's no need to supplement with protein powder, drinks etc.

I just use my protein powder on days I don't meet my macros, or days I feel like having something sweet and chocolaty!

Really? Thats good to know! I tried looking it up but there are so many different opinions and articles on the internet that I figured it wouldnt hurt to just come right out and ask someone. Thanks for the advice!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You do know that building muscle comes while eating a calorie surplus, right? You just can't "grow" muscle by lifting weights, you need to gaaaain!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You do know that building muscle comes while eating a calorie surplus, right? You just can't "grow" muscle by lifting weights, you need to gaaaain!

You also can't build muscle doing Zumba.
  • Icebunny33
    Options

You also can't build muscle doing Zumba.

Oh no, I do Zumba for the cardio burn. In fact, I kind of ONLY do cardio. But it sometimes hurts my knees, so i realize I need to build on my muscles in order to minimize this. A friend of mine suggested I start lifting weights. I have to lose a lease 100 pounds to get healthy, I cant afford to eat a calorie surplus. I do cardio because as it stands its easiest for me with my knee issues.