Grilling vegetables?

Options
brightsideofpink
brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
Aside from kabobs, I confess I've never grilled a vegetable.
Do you prefer to put them right on the grates (assume propane grill) or do you use a basket/tray/pan? Do you generally grill them dry or add some sort of marinade/seasoning?
I don't typically like some of the larger veggies like large mushrooms, eggplant, squash, but would love some tips for grilling green beans, broccolli, peppers, onions, and even corn on the cob.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    you need to toss them/spray them with a little olive oil to coat them, also balsamic vinegar is wonderful on them :)
  • airmedic8
    airmedic8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would suggest something with some fat to coat them. It will keep them moist and they won't burn as easy. A healthy oil such as Olive Oil...not a lot bit a little. EVOO in moderation is healthy and good for you and your heart and HDL cholesterol. In large amounts....look out calories. Also cook slow on low heat...some vegetables burn easy and quickly, steady wins the veggie race. Use a grate of some type cause they shrink when you cook them.

salt, pepper are staples ....try a little season salt or garlic as well...good luck friend
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I give mine a coating of good ole' EVO. Sometimes too I'll make a foil packet and add some water and let them steam on the grill as well. They still get that smokey flavor but I'm not always in the mood for everything on my plate to be grilled either. My favorite though are brussel sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes and eggplant on the grill!!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OH!! And corn on the grill.... Too bad I'm out of propane or I'd get some steaks and veggies and grill 'em up tonight for dinner even with it snowing here and like 5 degrees!! With corn I wrap 'em in foil or just right on the grill but leave on the husks!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here is how I do it. I cut up the veggies into roughly the same size pieces(whatever you like for vegetables). Put them all in a large zip lock bag. (I make enough to have leftovers) Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and any spices you like. Seal the bag and mix them up so everything gets coated. I grill them in a disposable aluminum tray with holes in the bottom. They come 3 trays to a package. Stir a few times during grilling. Turns out great!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm not the griller in our family, but I love grilled corn on the cob, especially. We put a bit of butter & garlic salt on it, wrap in foil, and throw on the grill.
  • TheresaKnits
    TheresaKnits Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about oven roasting them. This time of year it's often too cold to be on the patio cooking. Turn your oven on 450, spray the veggies with a bit of olive oil spray (you'll use less oil to get everything coated), and roast for 15-20 minutes. It's a little easier to control the cooking in the oven and they still get that carmelization you're looking for.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks everyone! I agree about the cold. We've barely been above zero this week and we're getting a few fresh inches of snow today. Yuck.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use the stainless steel baskets or trays with 1/4" perforations (sort of like these). Sometimes I use a similar flat tray because it fits in the dishwasher better.

Slice up my veggies, toss 'em in a big zipploc bag, throw in some salt and what ever other seasonings I like, pour in some olice oil, seal it off and shake it up. Toss those in the basket and throw 'em on the grill. We do a lot of cauliflower, broccoli, squash, and asparagus this way.

Stuff that takes longer like potatoes I'll normally wrap up in a foil pouch.

Corn on the cob gets either wrapped in foil or, if it still has the husks, pull the husks back, rub 'em in butter or olive oil, pull the husks back over and set it right on the grill.
  • TheresaKnits
    TheresaKnits Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We do grilled corn all the time in the summer. If you'll soak the ears in a clean sink full of water for an hour or so, you can eliminate the butter and olive oil before cooking. The steam from the wet husks will cook the corn to perfection in about 20 minutes. Making my mouth water just thinking about it!