StrongLifts anyone?

Options
Anyone out there doing StrongLifts and willing to share your progress? I'm looking for people with whom I can share my progress as well. I've been doing StrongLifts since November and just wanted to commiserate with anyone else who is working with the same program.

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm doing SL. I have been since the end of September. What kind of progress are you looking for? Pics, stats, etc?

Pics: left from August (before SL), right from December (2 full months of SL).
    9rkgt2.jpg
    73lax4.jpg

Stats:
    Body weight has remained the same.
    Not sure what my BF has done because I didn't have an accurate BF reading from before SL (estimate though is that it has decreased a little bit).
    Squats: 115 to 160 (with one deload from 175 to 115 to fix my form)
    Bench: 85 to 105 (with a few deloads since 105 kicks my butt)
    Row: 65 to 115
    OHP: 55 to 90 (currently sticking to 90 since I don't have fractional plates)
    Deads: 145 to 190
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I'm doing SL. I have been since the end of September. What kind of progress are you looking for? Pics, stats, etc?

Stats:
    Not sure what my BF has done because I didn't have an accurate BF reading from before SL (estimate though is that it has decreased a little bit).

Nice work!

I'm looking for stats mostly. Percentage increases, numbers, etc. All that statistical data that I can manipulate to make myself feel better about my own progress. I have been doing it all on my own so I don't really know what goals to set or know if I'm doing well per se.

For me:

Squats 185 - 295 (hopefully 300 today)
    Bench 145 - 185
    Row 110 - 170
    OHP 105 - 135
    Deadlift 235 - 335 (hopefully 345 today)
  • xcalygrl
    Options

9rkgt2.jpg
    73lax4.jpg

Stats:

Nice work!

I'm looking for stats mostly. Percentage increases, numbers, etc. All that statistical data that I can manipulate to make myself feel better about my own progress. I have been doing it all on my own so I don't really know what goals to set or know if I'm doing well per se.

Thanks!

I included my weight lifted increases. I'm female, so you'll have different results. I'm also currently cutting, so that has some play into what kind of weight I can lift.

For quick math though (in 4 months):
    Squats: 40% increase
    Bench: 24% increase
    Row: 75% increase
    OHP: 65% increase
    Deads: 31% increase
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 on and off over the past year or so. My problem is that I get to a place where I am making some real gains and then I do more cardio for a while and when I go back to SL is have to deload for a while and make those gains again -- I will probably have to spend longer time in the gym to combine both cardio training with strength on the same days to keep up with progress in both.
  • autopilot_off
    Options

9rkgt2.jpg
    73lax4.jpg

Stats:

Nice work!

Thanks!

I included my weight lifted increases. I'm female, so you'll have different results. I'm also currently cutting, so that has some play into what kind of weight I can lift.

For quick math though (in 4 months):
    Squats: 40% increase
    Bench: 24% increase
    Row: 75% increase
    OHP: 65% increase
    Deads: 31% increase

That's great. I'm cutting as well so I don't know really what to expect.
  • autopilot_off
    Options
    I failed my 300 lb squats today, only completed 2 sets. But I nailed my 345 lb deadlift.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

9rkgt2.jpg
    73lax4.jpg

Stats:

May I ask what you were doing calorie/macro wise during this time?
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    scaly you are the man! I mean woman. But you look incredible!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Xcaly*
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I started out doing them on a Smith because I had nothing else and not using the app to track. When I started using a real barbell in November I started using the app so that's what I have data for. So this is my November to now improvements.

Sq from 115 to 215
    DL 135 to 230
    OHP 65 to 90
    BP 95 to 150
    row 60 to 115
  • autopilot_off
    Options
    I started out doing them on a Smith because I had nothing else and not using the app to track. When I started using a real barbell in November I started using the app so that's what I have data for. So this is my November to now improvements.

Sq from 115 to 215
    DL 135 to 230
    OHP 65 to 90
    BP 95 to 150
    row 60 to 115

That's a nice improvement.
  • jenglish712
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sq from 115 to 215
    DL 135 to 230
    OHP 65 to 90
    BP 95 to 150
    row 60 to 115

Thanks. Still pretty light but I gotta start somewhere and I had really never done any strength training before last year. It's a shame I have chunked up quite a bit on surplus over winter and do not expect near the strength gains (if not losses) as I move into cutting fat. I have put on about 10 pounds over that period and got back up to 160.
  • autopilot_off
    Options

Sq from 115 to 215
    DL 135 to 230
    OHP 65 to 90
    BP 95 to 150
    row 60 to 115

Thanks. Still pretty light but I gotta start somewhere and I had really never done any strength training before last year. It's a shame I have chunked up quite a bit on surplus over winter and do not expect near the strength gains (if not losses) as I move into cutting fat. I have put on about 10 pounds over that period and got back up to 160.

Don't count yourself out of gains while cutting. I have been cutting since I started and I'm still improving. Your gains might be less or even if you just maintained your current lifting stats it will help you keep your muscle while you lose weight.
  • jenglish712
    Options
    I think I will be able to see some improvement still in Bench and OHP. If I hold steady on squats and deads I will be satisfied with that. I'm not terribly far from 1.5x bodyweight on squats. But if I was down to 10% bodyfat I would be past that... so if I maintained lifts and dropped the fat I would be golden.

I just have to be patient with the weight loss and not try to rush it and lose strength and muscle. I figure before I am too far into it I may have to pull back to 3x5 due to less ability to recover but we will see. The 5x5 is starting to eat up a lot of time in the mornings due to long rest times.
  • autopilot_off
    Options
    I think I will be able to see some improvement still in Bench and OHP. If I hold steady on squats and deads I will be satisfied with that. I'm not terribly far from 1.5x bodyweight on squats. But if I was down to 10% bodyfat I would be past that... so if I maintained lifts and dropped the fat I would be golden.

I just have to be patient with the weight loss and not try to rush it and lose strength and muscle. I figure before I am too far into it I may have to pull back to 3x5 due to less ability to recover but we will see. The 5x5 is starting to eat up a lot of time in the mornings due to long rest times.

If I was at my ideal BF% I would be squatting well beyond 1.5X my bodyweight. Hopefully I can keep it there too.

But I hear you on recovery between sets. That's what makes my time at the gym take so long.
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

9rkgt2.jpg
    73lax4.jpg

Stats:

May I ask what you were doing calorie/macro wise during this time?

Calories: 1800 per day (about) My weight didn't really change because I had days where I ate my alloted calories and other days where I went way over (vacation, holidays, etc.).

Macros: 35p/35c/30f (158 grams protein/158 grams carbs/ 60 grams fat)
    But I'm almost always over on my protein and fat goals. I usually end up between 100-150 on my carbs.
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    scaly you are the man! I mean woman. But you look incredible!

:flowerforyou: Thank you @jayruby84!
  • autopilot_off
    Options
    xcalygrl, beyond your amazing transformation, you have some killer quads. It had to be said.
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    xcalygrl, beyond your amazing transformation, you have some killer quads. It had to be said.

Thank you :smile: :flowerforyou: That's the look I'm going for :wink:
  • autopilot_off
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Alright StrongLifters, help a guy out here. I just failed my squats AGAIN today after de-loading 10 lbs from Friday. Plus I failed my barbell rows. I haven't been sleeping well the past few days so I know that may be contributing, but am I due for a rest week?

Up until last Friday I have been steadily adding weight each session since November and now I seem to be stalling. Thoughts? Criticisms? Random questions and/or movie quotes?