Database

Options
thingal12
thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
It bothers me that I can't simply rely on MFP's database for accurate food nutritional information. Even when I scan a food item from my cell, the information is not always 100%. I wish I could go through and delete database entries that's incorrect. What's worse, in my opinion, are people that add food items to the database that has only calories. :s Or, items that have no amount of specific nutrients when it should obviously have it : Ex: 0% Iron when obviously it should have it (bread, meat, etc). UGH :# (I know restaurants don't add this, but something listed as being "homemade" should! :neutral_face: )

Replies

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I agree, I already commented somewhere about it. I don't understand why I have to see all of those entries when a correct one should be sufficient. If I choose certain foods over and over I should be able to see that item on the top of the list first instead of having to go through the numerous listings before I find the one I can use.

I know there is a tab for "recent" and "frequent", but it doesn't always show all the foods entered one way or the other. Another problem is when I enter a recipe it doesn't list all of the items in the recipe so that it can be adjusted by adding an ingredient, by portion of each item or just deleting and item all together.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy for an option to hide all entries entered by users. Half the time, even if the numbers look right, it takes 5 or 6 tries to find one with real measurements (8 pieces is not a measurement)
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think the fix to that would be when you enter a food it goes to the tab "my foods" list, regardless if you added a food to the database or you just chose a listing from the database.

8 pieces is a measurement when you are eating almonds and other things like it. I use almonds in a smoothie and I want to count those almonds according to how many I used.
  • JPW1990
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think the fix to that would be when you enter a food it goes to the tab "my foods" list, regardless if you added a food to the database or you just chose a listing from the database.

8 pieces is a measurement when you are eating almonds and other things like it. I use almonds in a smoothie and I want to count those almonds according to how many I used.

No, 28g or 1oz is a measurement. 8 pieces is meaningless, unless your almonds are genetically engineered to be the exact same size and shape every time. And, even if yours are, mine aren't, so you might as well put serving size = 2 snuffleupaguses for as meaningful as it is.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

No, 28g or 1oz is a measurement. 8 pieces is meaningless, unless your almonds are genetically engineered to be the exact same size and shape every time. And, even if yours are, mine aren't, so you might as well put serving size = 2 snuffleupaguses for as meaningful as it is.

I am not interested in weighing anything. Doesn't matter to me if it is perfect, I am not after perfection on individual food items such as an apple or nuts. They are healthy so I won't bother. Measurements of other things I will measure out but not nuts. I will choose the closest size of the apple or banana, etc that I am eating.

• JPW1990
    Options

I am not interested in weighing anything. Doesn't matter to me if it is perfect, I am not after perfection on individual food items such as an apple or nuts. They are healthy so I won't bother. Measurements of other things I will measure out but not nuts. I will choose the closest size of the apple or banana, etc that I am eating.

Then please don't share them to the public database. Nobody cares what's on anyone's personal list. They get frustrated by having to click the nutritional info for 10 identical names before they find one that's accurate.
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options

Then please don't share them to the public database. Nobody cares what's on anyone's personal list. They get frustrated by having to click the nutritional info for 10 identical names before they find one that's accurate.

I didn't put it there! Isn't that what this thread is about, having to wade through all the junk out there? Personally, If I add a food I would prefer it stay where I am, I have only added one food according to the nutrition label because all 10 of the labels were incomplete in one way or another. I hate wading through it all as well. But still, perfection is not necessary on a whole food, in my opinion.