former swimmers?

Options
any former high school/collegiate swimmers out there? do you still workout in the pool and find it helps with weight loss/maintaining weight?

i swam a d1 college and still am active as a swim coach, announcer at big meets, etc but find i don't really get as good of a workout/burn from swimming (as much as i remember from my painful workouts as a real swimmer)...i'm getting more into fitness classes/circuit training and as always running...just seeing who else is out there!

Replies

• sterlkyl000
    Options
    I'm still in high school, and I did swim team last year and water polo for the past two. I haven't swam in a while so I just got back into it. My biggest burn that I get is when I'm practicing for polo. Treading, passing, getting out of the water, one right after the other. I'm also trying to get more into the gym and I wanna start lifting. I despise running though.
  • teresaryan67
    teresaryan67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have not been on a swim team but have gone to the pool for several years, about a year and a half ago I started getting serious on swimming. Plus I started adding other exercise and have lost over 100 lbs
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Great job, Teresa! It is very encouraging to hear of your great success with swimming and weight loss!

I swam competitively Freshman year in high school and got in shape for the first time in my life! Since then I've sometimes been in good condition as a long-distance runner (13 miles) and occasionally swimming regularly, but mostly I've let myself go and gained weight till I reached 35 BMI at 55 years of age. Now I'm serious about getting back in shape. On account of major foot surgery I can't run anymore so swimming is my main exercise, with some strength training and leg aerobics on off days. For the first time in my life, I am eating healthy and keeping track of all my calories, carbs, essential fatty acids, etc.

Starting in November, I've been increasing my endurance to the point where I am now doing 1.5 miles in a little over an hour (7 x 350 yards freestyle plus a few cool down laps). I've lost 29 lbs but still have a long way to go. Planning on losing another 47 lbs to no longer be 'overweight' on the BMI scale.

I plan on working my way up to 3 miles for long-distance work-outs once a week (Saturday or Sunday) and then doing interval training with some sprints during the weekdays, augmented by strength training.

Thanks, robrecht!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    There's a supportive Swimmers! group on MFP if you are interested....
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Swimming is my main form of exercise. I swim laps 3 to 4 times a week (1000 meters) and follow that up with a deep water exercise class for an hour each time. I was very sedentary before and swimming has helped me a lot.
    When I was in my 20's I swam quite a bit and taught children's swim lessons. Never competitive though.
    I try to get some land-based exercise like walking too, but knee trouble keeps that limited.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    There's a supportive Swimmers! group on MFP if you are interested....

Any chance you have the link? Since the group section is working on getting the 'search feature' back up and running.. I thought I'd ask. :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers

:D

I swam club team in high school and am back in the water as of this summer, many many years later. I'm more of a runner now; swim is for triathlon and cross-training/injury purposes. I definitely find I can't push myself as long and hard in the pool as I can running now--probably I don't have the upper body strength I had back then, specifically lats, to get the cardio workout I'm used to. Swim fitness is very different from other types of fitness!

Swim also ramps up my appetite like nothing else. I just have to be aware of what I'm eating (tracking calories) and making sure I don't go over my target, and it's not that big a deal. On swim days I plan to eat more earlier in the day and less at night, since I swim before work.
  • teresaryan67
    teresaryan67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is awesome Robertus, you are doing great!! I know some days I feel bummed for I am in a slight stand still and have about 50 more to meet my goal. I swim 4 days a week. A mile each time, Zumba 2x week, and had been doing a walk/jog. I am going to add in Boot Camp now I think. Hoping to break the stand still. Good luck to you. Friend me if you want, great encouragement.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    @cheshirecatastrophe Thanks so much for the group link!! :) I appreciate it!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers