Step Counter + Exercise Logging Conflict?

Options
I use my iPhone to track my steps during the day, and it syncs to MFP and adjusts my calorie goal accordingly.

When I walk for exercise, I use Map My Walk to track my distance and speed, and this also syncs with MFP and adjusts my daily calorie goal accordingly.

Am I screwing up my calorie adjustment by having both activities logged in MFP?

For instance, if I walk for an hour at 3 mph, that exercise syncs with MFP to show how many calories I burned. At the same time, this same exercise event will been tracked by my iPhone step counter and show I burned calories by walking throughout the day.

Does this make sense? It's so hard for me to explain it!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies

• eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This makes so much sense and I would like to know the answer myself!!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is going to lead to double-counting. IIRC, MapMyRun (and, probably, MapMyWalk) can also sync to a step tracker. If you sync everything to MapMyWalk, and then have that sync to MFP (so the step tracker is only connected to MapMyWalk, not MFP) that should eliminate the double-count.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you manually log your exercise on here you can put in the time you were doing it and it will adjust from the step counter to not double count it.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Where do you sync your set counter on MapMyWalk/Run? I didn't know you could do that!
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ncscott11 wrote: »
    If you manually log your exercise on here you can put in the time you were doing it and it will adjust from the step counter to not double count it.

But if I manually log my exercise on top of my calorie adjustment from my steps tracker, it would double up on the calories I've burned. I guess I'll just have to disconnect my steps tracker from MFP!
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ncscott11 wrote: »
    Where do you sync your set counter on MapMyWalk/Run? I didn't know you could do that!

Go to Settings, then select Connect Apps and Devices. Then I selected iPhone motion sensor since I use my iPhone to track my steps. I have yet to see how this feature works/syncs with MFP.

I'm going to turn on my steps counter on MFP on days that I'm not doing cardio for exercise. I guess that will have to do.
  • MaryLouRoyal
    MaryLouRoyal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've found that once MapMyWalk/MapMyHike syncs a workout at the end, MFP adjusts my calorie burn from my iPhone steps downward (from when I might check in the middle of the walk, for example) so I don't think it's double-counting.