How many calories to eat while pregnant so i don't gain weight?

Options

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ovinas1 wrote: »
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

May your first child be a masculine child..

huh???

may your first child be a masculine child? is that like a blessing of some sort?

Congrats OP, you will gain weight, but you likely won't struggle to lose it, you need to ask your doctor how much you should gain and go from there. You're not eating for two, but you do need a little more calories than normal.

if you choose to breastfeed, and I hope that you do, you'll burn a loooot of calories in the beginning and provided you don't gorge yourself over and beyond, you'll drop the weight.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

huh???

may your first child be a masculine child? is that like a blessing of some sort?

Congrats OP, you will gain weight, but you likely won't struggle to lose it, you need to ask your doctor how much you should gain and go from there. You're not eating for two, but you do need a little more calories than normal.

if you choose to breastfeed, and I hope that you do, you'll burn a loooot of calories in the beginning and provided you don't gorge yourself over and beyond, you'll drop the weight.

duh- dont' you know men are better?

<cough cough>
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

huh???

<cough cough>

Haha. I missed that comment before. My first child is a boy actually.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

huh???

<cough cough>

obviously- because your a good woman to produce a strong heir first.

otherwise we would have had to knock you up again- then if it was another girl just stone you to death. Because women aren't useful.
    at all.

<thankshuckabee>

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Talking to your doctor would be the first action you should take and the link below will help you to know where you should be on your food intake. Put all your info in and tell it what trimester you are in. Ask you doctor about your findings and see if the findings are agreed upon.

Here's the link to the Interactive DRI used by professionals. I used this to set myself up using MFP.

fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

huh???

<cough cough>

obviously- because your a good woman to produce a strong heir first.

otherwise we would have had to knock you up again- then if it was another girl just stone you to death. Because women aren't useful.
    at all.

<thankshuckabee>

Lol. I have 2 girls too. Such a random thing to say....
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Congrats!

The standard recommendation (from nutritionists) for calories while pregnant is:
    1st trimester: maintenance calories
    2nd trimester: maintenance + 250 calories
    3rd trimester: maintenance + 500 calories

As for where you gain weight: this is highly dependent on the person. Some women gain all over while others gain only in the stomach.

Most people would recommend not starting a new workout routine now that you're pregnant. I'm no doctor, so this isn't medical advice, but I would assume walking should be ok.

This is what I've read as well. Obviously when you're at a healthy weight at the beginning of your pregnancy you shouldn't be trying to lose weight, but you don't have to gain more than 25-35 pounds if you don't want to. There is nothing wrong with watching your weight in pregnancy and controlling it to a reasonable gain if you can as long as you're eating well and getting the right nutrition.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You are going to gain. You're supposed to gain; you've got a baby, the placenta and everything else. If you're concerned about a healthy diet while pregnant, talk to your doctor, not the interwebs. :smile:

Gaining weight for this will not negate what you've done so far in the getting healthy process. Enjoy this time. Be easy on yourself! And congrats!
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that some of the extra weight gained during pregnancy is water. And you pee a ton of it out after the baby is born. <3
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

Try not to stress about the food. This is a time that you don't want to worry, stress or fret over what you're consuming and how much. Stress affects many of your hormones and you really need that stuff working right now, more than ever. It really makes a difference on the health of your little one. Remain calm and enjoy that little extra food the little one is going to force you to eat. Seek out healthy options that you really enjoy, and make it a double.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

I c wut u did there

• vanessangonzalez
    vanessangonzalez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

This is from The Godfather. I think he was just trying to be funny. It's not personal. Lol.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I gained only 33 pounds while pregnant. I actually lost weight the first 2 months. I ate chocolate.. And more chocolate .. I lost it right away. You'll do great!
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options

MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Congratulations, first and foremost!

Talk to your doctor, but don't be afraid of weight gain. You'll find an average woman gains anywhere from 30-60 pounds while pregnant (I gained 100-- I made a big baby!). Breastfeeding will take the weight off fast, as will running on no sleep and half-eaten meals in between a crying baby! That sounds like a prison sentence-- it's not. You'll look back and not even think about how stressed out you were.

In any case, weight is weight. Nutrition is everything. Start taking a prenatal vitamin. They make gummies if you're iffy about swallowing pills. If you're already exercising, continue! If you haven't exercised, walking is good, but don't overdo it, ESPECIALLY in the first trimester. Make sure to drink lots of water, and stay away from deli meats, sushi... They'll give you a whole list of stuff not to eat.

Enjoy pregnancy! It was the happiest I've ever been. Like my hormones have always been out of whack and they finally evened out.
    Nobody should gain 60 pounds during pregnancy. As others have said a healthy weight woman SHOULD typically gain only 25-35. An overweight woman needs to gain even less. Obviously many people gain more, but this is not because the baby needed it. Yes, she needs to eat more, but not that much more. http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

This doesn't make me grind my teeth at all. *eye roll* No, nobody 'should' gain 60 lbs while pregnant. But I did while on bed rest for 8 months. Technically nobody 'should' gain any of the extra weight we have but people don't generally running around saying that...

OP, congrats on your baby! Please don't worry about the weight gain. Talk to your doctor about a healthy diet and calorie amount and I'm sure they will help you out :smile: Also if you were 2 weeks pregnant you wouldn't get a positive test yet, so I think you may be a little off there haha.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Just wanted to add that some of the extra weight gained during pregnancy is water. And you pee a ton of it out after the baby is born. <3

And sweat! I used to wake up drenched in sweat when my babies were newborns. I fell asleep on our leather sofa once. Yuck.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Congrats on being a future mother.
  • AlexaDove
    Options
    Not to mention that a lot of the projected weight gain form pregnancy includes the baby's weight, placenta, amniotic fluid, your own body's water retention, increase in blood volume, and then a few pounds gained due to increase in calories to nourish your baby as he or she grows.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Doctor Doctor doctor.

This is from The Godfather. I think he was just trying to be funny. It's not personal. Lol.

LOL thanks I was SO confused.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I am 20 weeks pregnant myself, and very similar height to you, just shy of 5;0". (4'11.8", if you want to get technical.) I work out at least 4 times a week, and am gaining in the belly on 1750 (the last few weeks I've gone over a lot, but at this point I'm listening to my body and giving it what it needs.) I got pregnant at around 115lbs and weigh 125, now, and am just about the same pants size, minus the waistband, 'cause this kid is riding exceptionally low. :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

This is accurate, there is a LOT of fluid in in there, (not just amniotic fluid, but also in your joints and soft tissue)--it all accumulates water. I myself must have lost a full pound when my water broke with my first kid. It seriously was like a water balloon exploding, just like in the movies. Ha!