Hosting a Superbowl party! HELP!

Options
So we are huge Pats fans and my husband asked if we could host a SuperBowl party! I'm panicking! We will have 3 other couples here (8 people total). They are coming over around 6:00pm and kick-off is at 7:30pm where we live. Give me your FOOD suggestions! I don't want my guests to have to eat salad but I don't want TONS of tempting food here either!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I would help you, but you are a Pats fan.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow, great minds think alike, I just posted a similar subject. I'll remove mine to avoid duplication.

My only ideas are to make some chicken and shrimp skewers with peppers and onions and grill them, weather permitting. Aside from that some crunchy veggies so people can snack on them as they go by. However, I don't want to offend people, so I'll have chips, crackers, etc... Just trying to get other ideas of healthy options.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I made it through New Year's Eve by making a ranch dip out of fat free Green yogurt and dry ranch mix. You can also add spinach to it if you want. Then serve it with a veggie tray. A fruit tray is also good.

You could also do something like a soup or chili bar where people can add what they want, then you can keep yours more plain but they can put in cheese, etc.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    CHILI,RIBS, WINGS,...... AND LOTS AND LOTS OF BOOZE.
  • 10ecmuscle
    10ecmuscle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think if you were a sexy Seahawks cheerleaders outfit, nobody will even care about food. . Notice I said Seahawks. Ha.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    a pats fan?

Remember, in new england, salt is an exotic spice and to be approached as such. Use sparingly, or not at all.

lol.

I'm making bonchon wings.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Make some "tempting" foods but also put out veggies with dip and a big salad with tongs so everyone can help themselves. That way you can access salad but they don't necessarily have to if they don't want to
  • PRMinx
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    a pats fan?

Remember, in new england, salt is an exotic spice and to be approached as such. Use sparingly, or not at all.

lol.

I'm making bonchon wings.

LOL.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I would help you, but you are a Pats fan.

lol at above. Though as a Packers fan, I'm much more grumpy about the Seahawks.

Veggies and hummus, chicken skewers, baked meatballs are all somewhat healthy options!

I made really delicious chicken skewers for a party by just cutting some chicken breasts and thighs into chunks, marinating them in teriyaki sauce (I like Trader Joe's Soyaki) for a few hours, then skewering them and baking for 30 min at 375. (Soak your skewers in water for an hour to prevent sticking).

• STUPID_GOPHER
    STUPID_GOPHER Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    sorry but the chicken hawks are going to repeat......lol
  • PRMinx
    Options
    CHILI,RIBS, WINGS,...... AND LOTS AND LOTS OF BOOZE.

Anything else and I would be positively deflated...
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Not a football fan, but I would be pretty disappointed if I went to a party and there was only vegetables and dip there. Get out that crock pot and slow cook some bbq pork spare ribs, make a layered taco dip or a crab/lobster dip with some toasted pitas, and have some alcohol for mixing. If you know you'll be tempted to overeat, then work out early in the day and just have a light lunch early on.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've made this before and everyone loved them

http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2014/01/mini-pepper-chicken-nachos/

I've made it with chicken once and pulled pork once and both were great.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Put the fattier stuff farther from the TV so you'd have to get up if you wanted some.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    9a1r1tujyh0i.jpg
    this looks delicious.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Ideas: Make the less healthy items in ways that don't appeal to you. For instance, I can't tolerate spicy foods - so make the wings spicy. I love cookies, but not with nuts in them - so make pecan tassies. That kind of thing. Make the chili in a healthy way. And then have stuff like Peppermint Life Savers and mixed nuts in bowls, so you can feel like you're nibbling, too.
  • lpappas84
    lpappas84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I swear by Skinnytaste - that woman is a genius, and she has an entire section devoted to lighter Super Bowl recipes: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/top-20-skinny-superbowl-roundup.html
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ermagerds... that deflated choco ball.... YES!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Oh - and eat a huge salad and several glasses of water at around 5:15 p.m.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm hosting a party and I'm making chicken wings (I bake them and also make my own kick *kitten* wing sauce), green chile stew, and I'm ordering a couple of pizzas. I will also have salad fixings and a veggie tray.

Really, this will be my primary eating for the day...I generally eat lighter earlier in the day for occasions like this...like I'll probably have a decent breakfast and probably only a salad or something for lunch...I figure that with a few chicken wings, a slice or two of pizza and some stew during the second half and I'll probably be right around maintenance.