Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    umm if you are not working out you arent burning 1800 calories,are you wearing your fitbit all day? thats the only way you are going to get that high of a calorie burn and it wont be accurate because its what your body burns normally through every day activity and cant be counted as exercise calories. only wear your fitbit to count steps or calories when working out. otherwise your calorie burns are not that high.try burning those calories through cardio alone. you will see you wont be anywhere near the calories burned your fitbit is claiming

1800 Calories is a perfectly reasonable daily expenditure (TDEE).

So that's what they burn for the entire day, not just exercise calories? That seems like a very low TDEE to me, but then, I am probably heavier than the OP.

It's TDEE, and fitbit asks for info like age, height, weight, gender, etc. Mine tells me I burn between 2500-3200 calories, which I actually feel is really high, especially since it doesn't track things like my weight lifting. If it's giving her 1800, that is likely close, and she's probably not that active and/or pretty small.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    umm if you are not working out you arent burning 1800 calories,are you wearing your fitbit all day? thats the only way you are going to get that high of a calorie burn and it wont be accurate because its what your body burns normally through every day activity and cant be counted as exercise calories. only wear your fitbit to count steps or calories when working out. otherwise your calorie burns are not that high.try burning those calories through cardio alone. you will see you wont be anywhere near the calories burned your fitbit is claiming

1800 Calories is a perfectly reasonable daily expenditure (TDEE).

So that's what they burn for the entire day, not just exercise calories? That seems like a very low TDEE to me, but then, I am probably heavier than the OP.

Not all that low. Sit at a desk all day and don't exercise or otherwise move around much? 1800 (or thereabouts) sounds about right for an "average" woman. Maybe a little on the low side, but not unreasonable.

And I guess TDEE (which is generally averaged out over a week) isn't the right way of putting it - more like single daily expenditure.

It's about right. I'm a desk jockey- I can maintain on 1800-2000 roughly.

I'm trying to lose on 1600-1700 and it's not happening really. (mostly because eating that little is REALLY hard for me)... so no 1800 isn't that low for maintenance. Unfortunately.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Yup all day and that's without logging any exercise, just normal day activities. Even if I go exercise I don't log the cardio back into my fitbit
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

Not true. All you have to do is to enable negative calories. I have to walk about 5,000 steps or a little under 2.5 miles just to break even. The steps over 5k start crediting me with extra calories burned. Since getting my Fitbit I average 7 to 8 miles a day. My record was over 15 miles.

What people without Fitbits (or with Fitbits but didn't enable negative calories) don't realize is that MFP's sedentary setting assumes you're going to walk a couple miles during a typical day, and if you're not getting those couple miles in you need to adjust your daily calorie totals down a couple hundred. Unless of course you're getting in a couple hundred calories of other exercise that you're not logging.
    ok but you are working out and getting exercise. if you arent doing that you arent going to burn 1800 calories(and I dont mean calories your body burns to function).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

Not true. All you have to do is to enable negative calories. I have to walk about 5,000 steps or a little under 2.5 miles just to break even. The steps over 5k start crediting me with extra calories burned. Since getting my Fitbit I average 7 to 8 miles a day. My record was over 15 miles.

What people without Fitbits (or with Fitbits but didn't enable negative calories) don't realize is that MFP's sedentary setting assumes you're going to walk a couple miles during a typical day, and if you're not getting those couple miles in you need to adjust your daily calorie totals down a couple hundred. Unless of course you're getting in a couple hundred calories of other exercise that you're not logging.
    ok but you are working out and getting exercise. if you arent doing that you arent going to burn 1800 calories(and I dont mean calories your body burns to function).

Wow. Old post and you contributed to the original and the bump. That's odd. LOL.

I don't know what you mean by the bold. The Fitbit is meant to be TDEE which would include what your body burns to function so that would be in the 1800.
    I maintain over 1800 even without exercise. With exercise I was losing at 1800 or more.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I didnt put the bold lol for some reason it did that itself.I also wasnt talking about TDEE but never mind
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I didnt put the bold lol for some reason it did that itself.I also wasnt talking about TDEE but never mind

That's what the Fitbit is measuring. Tdee.
  • 20paws
    20paws Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    And this ladies and gents is why there is so much confusion on the topic...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Yup all day and that's without logging any exercise, just normal day activities. Even if I go exercise I don't log the cardio back into my fitbit

1h47o12z2l51ckhikdly401c0.png