Running & Breathing

Any tips on how to breathe and run at the same time? Because it's harder than some people make it look :#

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    In through your nose and out your mouth is ideal. Once I get my heart rate up, I just breathe open mouth.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Start slow. If you can't carry on a conversation while you run, you're running too fast for you. A lot of it is just consciously thinking about it, deliberately drawing deep breaths, even though your instinct is shallow breaths. Eventually, it will become habit.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    grimendale wrote: »
    Start slow. If you can't carry on a conversation while you run, you're running too fast for you. A lot of it is just consciously thinking about it, deliberately drawing deep breaths, even though your instinct is shallow breaths. Eventually, it will become habit.

I've been doing insanity and they really so focus on breathing correctly. I want to hold my breath a lot in plank and push-ups, and he's constantly saying when to breathe. Running on the treadmill and breathing correctly just comes naturally now. When you really begin feeling winded, a deep inhale through the nose, with a quick, forced exhale out your mouth gets oxygen to your muscles quickly.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

yep.gif
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    I found out something by accident... I always ran with my mouth open because I felt like I had to (not on purpose or anything). It made my jaw hurt and I ran out of breath faster and dried out my mouth. Then one day I happen to have a halls cough drop in my mouth when i started running - WOW. Clears up your sinuses so you can breath through your nose easier, and having it in my mouth made it keep my mouth closed while I sucked on it. Now i go through a bag of those a week or two :) Always run with one in my mouth and extras in my pockets!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member

This. When I run, I breath in rhythm with the running. At a slower pace (7:45/mile or more), I breathe in for three steps and out for three steps. When I pick up the pace, I usually shift to in for two steps and out for two steps. To change things up, I'll sometimes breathe in for three and out for two.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    I think everyone's pretty much covered it. The "conversation while you run" rule, and syncing it up with your steps.

The only other thing I noticed when I started running was that I would have sort of a . . . .I don't know if "panic" is the right word, but I'd feel insanely out of breath after maybe half a mile. I found that it was sort of a psychological thing from slacking on my workouts for so long. If I slowed my pace just a little and made a point of taking full deliberate breaths, in my nose and out my mouth, the "panic" moment would pass really quickly and I would hit my stride . . . um literally, by the end of the mile ^_^