protein

Options
Okay so im a fitness freak and im always hearing about protein. Is a lot of protein good or bad?

Replies

• patj06
    patj06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you need to try and have 40% of your daily diet as protein to get lean, but you also need carbs if your training.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    In general, what's "a lot" for one person will depend on body size, muscle mass, and activity level. However, over 35% of your calories as protein would be considered well over what you need. You can have a well balanced diet with 15-25% of your calories as protein.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    patj06 wrote: »
    I think you need to try and have 40% of your daily diet as protein to get lean, but you also need carbs if your training.

Not really wise to tell someone a % as depending on weight, your 40% suggestion could be really high and unneeded.

OP, if you are dieting and/or lifting, then around .8-1g /lbs of lean body mass is enough. Can you go a little more, sure (unless you have a medical issue where your Dr. recommends otherwise), but realize that this will reduce fats and/or carbs that you will also want to maintain proper hormonal function and energy for the gym.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If it helps. These are my numbers 40-30-30 p-f-c My tdee is 1600