Small NSV; dead lift

Never thought I would post a NSV but......I did my very first set (5) of Olympic bar dead lifts today and I am soooo pleased that I could do it.
That is 45% of my body weight. I thought it would take me ages to get to it.
Did 3 months of nerd fitness body weight work to work up to it, then decided today was the day.
I had a trainer watching for form, so all was safe.
Cheers, h.

Replies

• miss_ro
    miss_ro Posts: 10 Member
    That's amazing!!!!!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Nice -- getting started at half BW is a big jump! Of course, it's also mildly amazing that a functioning adult can only weigh twice as much as an Oly bar :D I suppose I should get used to it -- at the growth rate my daughter's on, she's barely going to break 100 at adult weight...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Hil8570
    5'1, 100-105lb and 61yo. Weighed 98-105 all my life until menopause took me up to 130 in 2008. I have been back at my normal weight for over 5 years, but have lately decided I want to slowly work my way to doing a sl5x5 one exercise at a time. Don't want to damage myself, hence the cautious approach.
    Cheers, h.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    That's great. Deadlift is one of my favorites even though my computer wants to change it every time I type that lift on here. Took me a long time to reach body weight on the lift since I've got a lot to lose still but it also is a great NSV because it's easier to get heavy on that lift long before overhead press or bench.

So, good for you! :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    well done, .5 BW is a good starting point, and 5 reps is solid.