High calorie goal? And need friends for motivation

Options
JenniferInCt
JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
edited January 2015 in Getting Started
Anyone else get a high calorie goal from here? I know its just a recommend guideline but mine is 2,040 i have >60-70lbs to lose, and am moderately active. I work four days a week, 8-10 hours mostly on my feet and have been going to the gym for 1.5 hrs 3-4x a week. Ive been aiming more for 1800 because this is new to me and im just getting started. Even 1800 is a huge improvement from the ridiculous amt i used to have. What do you guys think?
Also please feel free to add me if you want to share this journey with me, or if you are already near your goal and wouldnt mind provided support if needed.

Replies

• JenniferInCt
    Options
    I should add that most days im between 1400-1600. But something like 1200 scares me lol
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How tall are you? If MFP recommends 2040 based on gender, height, age and activity level, why not give it a try for 2-3 weeks and adjust or maintain based on actual experience? If you're meeting your goals why would you want to eat less?
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1940 calories to eat and I workout 6 days a week which is over 2400 to eat ...wishing you much success ...feel free to add me :)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Give it a try and see what happens. I had mine set to sedentary (which put me at 1200) but was earning 500+ from my Fitbit that I was counting as optional exercise calories and not using. My weight loss stalled after 4 lbs. When I changed my settings to Lightly Active since I'm on my feet all day, it took me to 1500 and I earn around 200 in extra calories from my Fitbit. Since I started eating more, I've lost as much weight this week as I had in the previous three weeks combined at the lower calorie level.

Feel free to add me if you want!
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    Im 5'5". Thanks guys! Im only two weeks in but ive lost 7 lbs. Sounds like alot but i was drinking 2-3 starbucks lattes a day (yes i know, THAT bad). I now let myself have 1 over 3 days, and will eventually stop. I started eating healthy at the same time i stopped. So dont know if its the lower calories or starbucks. But yes- ill try it. You dont have to tell me twice lol. Thats be great if its true. And ive also heard people who's weight stalled bc they werent eating enough. Thanks for your input! Requests on their way
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @tlblood are you aware of the EM2WL (Eat More to Weight Less) group on MFP? You may have stumbled on their method based on experience. But since you now know it works, you may want to check the group out. Much success.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was not aware of that group, though I've heard the expression before (which is what made me think to try it).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why even go through the setup process if you're just going to pick an arbitrary number anyway?
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    I know. But ive also read on here that the number isnt always right. Thats why im asking others for their thoughts. I will try it and go from there. Thanks