A proverbial wrench in my weight loss plan is on Sunday!!!

Options
anyone have any secrets on resisting temptation? Or better yet any resources for healthy versions of your favorites (a la wings, dip, alcohol drinks)?

I am looking for positive, happy people (women and only serious non-creepy men) to help me on this journey. Feel free to add me if you want to share that motivation/support

Replies

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories above and beyond your regular TDEE to gain 1 pound. Even if you eat 7000 extra calories, you'll only gain 2 pounds.

My advice? Have at it. Log it or not, and move on to Monday.

eta: and enjoy yourself and the food! Load that plate up if you want to! :smiley:
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Mix in some low calorie options like a relish tray or light chips & dip. I also prelog as much as possible. Even if you do overindulge, it won't be near as bad.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    From an alcohol perspective, a shot with soda or a diet drink will save you on some calories. Try and avoid having conversations near where the snacks are laid out - you're far more likely to mindlessly eat if it's within arm's reach. Before grabbing something, have an internal conversation with yourself as to whether you really want it, and whether the short term gratification justifies the long term results.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • nellielovescupcakes
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I like the pre-log and chit-chat away from snacks suggestions!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like cava or prosecco ..90 cals a glass and intersperse with sparkling water

Prelog some canapé style entries so you know how many you're allowed to eat within your budget. If there are crudités take them and a small amount of dip and move away from the food table

If you mess up and go over do not worry, just log it all and move on

Generally for busy weekends I save calories during the week, maybe I eat fewer of my workout or daily calories so that I can have an extra 1000 or so to play with
  • nellielovescupcakes
    Options
    Hitting the gym hard today and tomorrow so I have calorie deficit. My moniker should really be: I love food. Happy Saturday!!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    There was a good post on the mfp blog the other day about lower call versions of football food.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I just eat it. One day eating to maintenance or above won't make me or you fat. It may slow down progress, sure. But otherwise who cares? Are you going to forever say no to these items in the future when you maintain? Doesn't sound like fun to me. Any type of behaviour you pursue while trying to lose weight should be things that you KNOW you will do while maintaining your weight.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Just promise yourself that you won't eat any calorie dense treats unless you are truly enjoying and savoring every bite.. Don't deprive yourself, just don't waste the experience by stuffing yourself mindlessly and not getting the pleasure out of what you are eating. If you like mindless nibbling, hit the veggie tray for that. But wings and queso and other richer food? Savor every bite!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

As for tomorrow-I did some extra cardio today. Will probably eat at maintenance or a little above because I love cheese dips and pepperoni rolls and I deserve them. So do you.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    As for tomorrow-I did some extra cardio today. Will probably eat at maintenance or a little above because I love cheese dips and pepperoni rolls and I deserve them. So do you.

Same for me. I'm going for a run today, and I will "save" that extra 500 calories (plus the additional 500 "saved" throughout this week) for tomorrow's feast (pre-planned for 1,500-2,000 for Super Bowl "dinner time"). I like wings and onion rings, and fried potatoes with ranch dressing. There are no satisfactory substitutions for these things in my mind, so I will eat them as I wish (good thing they're expensive--I only indulge every couple months ;) ).

And this method works. I did the same for Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I refuse to be the "Debbie Downer" gnawing on my veggie sticks (dressed with my tears), complaining about all the temptations to the rest of the crowd. Imma gonna moderate my feasting, indulge modestly and without guilt, and enjoy the festivities with friends and family.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Eat it, log it, move on. This is a lifestyle change, and you are not going to spend your entire life not celebrating, going to parties, etc. The goal is for days like that to be a treat, an occasional thing, not every day.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

I am looking for positive, happy people (women and only serious non-creepy men) to help me on this journey. Feel free to add me if you want to share that motivation/support

Whelp ... I'm done here then, right?

mr_negativity.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

60.jpg

• olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Try not to get obsessive about what you're putting in your mouth (I know that this is easier said than done). The first step to healthy eating is understanding that real life happens. There will always be birthdays and anniversaries and baby showers, etc. Go ahead and have some wings (there are seriously worse things) and some drinks. Depending on what you get, it will average out to MAYBE an extra 3000 calories unless you way overdo it. Over the course of the average week, that's nothing. You can't really "bank" exercise the day before or the day after. That's just not how it works, haha.

I prefer vodka/water/lime because it's 30cal for the vodka and whatever for the lime. I used to have vodka/sprite/lime but the sprite started making me feel gross. Any pure alcohol (or pure + water) is going to have minimal calories. It's once you start drinking liqueurs (sourpuss, other flavored alcohol) and cocktails that you get extra calories and lots of sugar.

I also like ordered a side of raw veggies at bars (if I'm getting food), it may not always be on the menu but it's around $4-6 on average. If I get wings I get a double order of veggies since it comes with veggies already.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ALSO, on a semi-related note, I've learned to just follow my cravings. If I try to substitute I am NEVER satisfied and just end up eating what I craved anyway. It's less calories to just eat what I want! haha!
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you need to do alcohol. Single shots of clear unflavored vodka. No chasers except for plain water.

• Sued0nim
    Options

60.jpg

Yeah

But only cos your profile shot makes you look like you're wearing a bikini :grinning:
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

60.jpg

Yeah

But only cos your profile shot makes you look like you're wearing a bikini :grinning:

Your profile shot was my inspiration.

I was just trying to be like you and let my Inner Babe shine thru.

;)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

60.jpg

Yeah

Your profile shot was my inspiration.

I was just trying to be like you and let my Inner Babe shine thru.

;)

lol...well I can't blame you for that :wink:
  • I probably didn't give enough details. I'm just now getting used to eating healthier, while I never deprive myself I don't want to jump back into unhealthy foods just yet. I am in a good place where I'm not dying for a piece of sugary sweetness or eating a block of cheese in one sitting. It was hard for me to ween myself of a sugar and fat heavy diet. I weigh about 141 and I am 5'7" and it's not about weight loss for me...it's about my health. I'm 38 and my BMI was at 30 (what is generally considered obese) which makes me 5 times as likely for a cardiac event.