Anyone know where I might be able to weigh myself?

Options
So, I don't have a scale right now, and I'm really quite broke so I would rather not have to buy one. Is there any public place where I can weigh myself? I've been eating healthier and exercising for a couple of weeks now, maybe a month, and I'd like to see how I'm doing...

Replies

• RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your Doctor, the health department, or Walmart. =)
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    2nd Walmart. Or Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, Fred Meyer, Sharper Image... anyplace that sells scales. There's almost always a floor model that you can take for a test drive. I used them for ~6mo before finally buying my own. :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks for posting this, I haven't been able to weigh in nearly a month because I don't feel like buying a scale and I'm visiting family. I have some ideas now!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    . I used them for ~6mo before finally buying my own. :)

LMAO you are sooooo my type of person LOL
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about losing weight, surely a couple bucks for a scale is the most basic piece of equipment you should own? Lol
  • LadyAsrai
    LadyAsrai Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about losing weight, surely a couple bucks for a scale is the most basic piece of equipment you should own? Lol
    Yes, I would like a scale, but I am a starving student and food and books are more important than a scale if I can find one that I can use for free :P
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    most dr's office would let you.
  • ally_cole
    ally_cole Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I third the Walmart idea!! I did it most of the way through college when I didn't have a lot of money and didn't really need one. Totally worth it! If you don't shop at Walmart regularly, wherever you normally shop will probably have one.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    oh and some gyms have them. If you are a student, student health clinic
  • danrenee
    danrenee Posts: 7
    Options
    Do you go to a gym or do you work in a place that may have a locker room? Those are two places that should have them.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I found mine at goodwill for less than $5. You might check out somewhere like that (and try it out before you use it- mine was set to kg rather than lbs when I bought it lol).
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    oh and some gyms have them. If you are a student, student health clinic

I would vote for this one. There may even be one in the school gym. Or maybe nicely ask one of the coaches in the athletic department. Explain to them you are trying to get healthy, most would welcome you I would think.

The reason why is because each scale is different. ***Recently I saw a post on her of someone saying she was frustrated because on the same day, she weighed at her doctor's office, her gym, then at WalMart she tried three different models and they ALL read a different number. If you always just go to WalMart, then I'm afraid you may get inconsistent readings. By using the one one campus, it remains consistent.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    a docs office, no apt nessessary
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    chemists, All so some malls have machines in the bathroom where you put in a dollar it does your height and weight, But if you keep doing that it will add up and you might as well have brought one from the start. I don't have one because i think i would become to obsessed with weighing myself!
  • drosen32
    drosen32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're a student, then certainly the health center at your college would have one.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like the walmart (or other stores) idea but keep weighing on the same model! Not all scales are calibrated the same so one model may say you're 150 and the one next to it says 153. So even if one is incorrect in your actual weight you will still be consistent with the same model so you will know for sure how much you gain/lose.

I don't own one either but I work in a hospital and we have one just down the hall. I weigh on that one at the beginning of my shift. But there have been times I go to the Dr. and weigh there then come to work 30 min later and weigh here and there's a 5lb difference.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    . I used them for ~6mo before finally buying my own. :)

LMAO you are sooooo my type of person LOL

:drinker: mine too! Awesome!!!!!!! lol
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I u r in college most colleges have medical centers that have them or the weight room at the gym. My pcp let me use their scale without a few when I was saving money up to get one
  • mickey2168
    mickey2168 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There may be a health clinic at your school with a scale?
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    A mall or truck stop bathroom. I'm not even joking. But I will be honest, I've gone months without a scale thinking I was around 180 pounds because that's what I had weighed the last time I had gone to the doctor's office and when I finally got a cheap scale from Wal-Mart and discovered that I weighed 214 lbs.......that was the boot in the *kitten* that I needed to get serious about losing weight. That cheap scale changed everything. I walked immediately to my computer after weighing myself that night and signed up for a gym membership and found MFP.
    Some people do great without scales, but that 10 dollar scale was my wake up call and well worth the money (though I've since replaced it with a more high tech version).

Funny story though:
    When I was in my early 20's and I moved to Chicago on my own, I was working part time and could only afford to pay rent (barely). I had noticed that I was losing weight at a rapid pace (I was walking everywhere) but I didn't have a scale. I was living with a girl that I had met through a mutual friend and she had been looking for a roommate. We never really talked to each other much and we just kind of lived our own lives and would go weeks without seeing each other. One day, I walked by her room and noticed she had a scale. She wasn't home and I didn't really see how it would hurt for me to just check my weight and leave. To my delight, I had lost weight. So once in awhile I would do this.
    Well one day.....her door was open and I had heard no sound all day, so I walked in and she was tucked in bed watching a movie on her laptop with her headphones on and our eyes met and it was the most awkward thing EVER. I'm just like "Um...hi. Just checking to see if your home....so.....yeah" and I walked back out. We never spoke of it. It was super weird even though my intentions were completely innocent, but there was nothing I could have said that would't have come off as weird.

So I guess the moral of that story is, don't be a weirdo like me, buy a scale. :laugh: