bananas

2»

Replies

• LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Aaaah, I absolutely love bananas… I eat around 5 a day.
    All fruit and veg are good for you!
  • rosepetals4eva
    rosepetals4eva Posts: 31 Member
    I'm eating a banana as I type this message :-)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Bananas are rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants - including some carbs that enhance the body's ability to absorb calcium. I'm sure you could get these features in a potato too, but you have to cook a potato. :P I like bananas because they are filling and extremely convenient. They are also versatile. Nobody is saying anyone has to eat a banana...but mmm, mmmm, I'm glad I have them to eat!

^I agree^
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Apart from everything else people have said, if you like them and indulging responsibly in them helps you stick with weight loss instead of quitting, then they're not just good but downright excellent in your diet, no? That goes for a lot of other foods high on calories and carbs. It's like in pharmacopoeia, it's often just the quantity that differentiates the medicine from the poison.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Years ago I read some stuff from Weight Watchers and they insisted you shouldn't eat more than two bananas a week. Still laugh about that one now.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I don't eat bananananananananas cos I don't like them - they repeat on me for hours afterwards.

I know what you mean about being high in carbs and cals, but so is most fruit.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Why are they good in my diet? because they taste good. om nom nom
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    I find them an almost perfect pre workout food especially with a little almond butter. They sit easy in my stomach and keep my blood sugar from crashing.
  • rosepetals4eva
    Almond butter sounds nice. Neve heard of that! Will have a look out for it! :-)
  • rosepetals4eva
    Are bananas especially good for someone watching their carbs intake to help steer away from diabetes. I understand that just one banana is high in carbs, like 20 each, but of course that only minimizes the rest of the day
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    edited February 2015
    Are bananas especially good for someone watching their carbs intake to help steer away from diabetes. I understand that just one banana is high in carbs, like 20 each, but of course that only minimizes the rest of the day

They are for me because they satisfy my sweet tooth and have a smooth creamy consistency which I like.

If you don't like bananas, I don't think they would be a good choice.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    sadbanana-meme-generator-you-make-sad-banana-even-sadder-fd32d7.jpg
  • krissywcox
    krissywcox Posts: 9 Member
    Freeze two bananas, put them in the food processor, add half a vanilla bean and a dash of cinnamon and purée it. Taste like vanilla bean ice cream only healthy!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    krissywcox wrote: »
    Freeze two bananas, put them in the food processor, add half a vanilla bean and a dash of cinnamon and purée it. Taste like vanilla bean ice cream only healthy!

That sounds really good ... I could try it in my blender. I don't have beans though I'm sure it would be ok with just vanilla extract?

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member

Bananas are good and healthy, but they are higher in sugar than many other fruits. It's best to ask a doctor whether you should avoid them for diabetic reasons, or not. (I think it depends on the severity of one's diabetes.)

I usually like to add half a frozen banana to a protein shake. I've read that carbs that are higher in sugar are beneficial, especially after a weight training session. Plus they work well to thicken the shake more like an ice cream. Half a banana will keep the carbs, calories and sugars a little lower.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    krissywcox wrote: »

That sounds really good ... I could try it in my blender. I don't have beans though I'm sure it would be ok with just vanilla extract?

yep I use vanilla extract. So yummy

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I tried to go Paleo, but couldn't do it fully cause I love bananas so much. I will never say a bad thing about them. They are perfect! :)