Weighing yourself

Options
jpearcexx
jpearcexx Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone! Was just wondering when is the best time to weigh yourself and how often should you weigh yourself?!

Replies

• Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's up to you when and how often you weigh yourself. Just be consistent with it.

I weigh myself morning after using the bathroom with the scale in the same spot and wearing the same thing. I like seeing the daily fluctuations and I log my weight everyday.

Some people weigh everyday, but only log the losses. Some people only weigh once a week. Some people only weigh a few times a month...just be consistent with it. Pick a schedule that works for you and stick to it.

My weight can vary between 1-3lbs a day, so if you don't like the idea of seeing those daily ups, then I recommend only weighing once or twice a week.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    It doesn't doesn't really matter as long as you weigh yourself about the same time wearing similar clothes (don't wear jeans and a heavy sweater one time, skivies the next).

Many people like to weigh first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before getting dressed. I used to weigh daily but the fluctuations drove me batty.

I now weigh every Monday morning. I might even do it monthly instead of weekly. But some people weigh multiple times during the day...they like to see the fluctuatuons. Not me...lol
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ^^^This!
    Especially important if you belong to an outside support group like Weight Watchers or TOPS. If the meetings are held in the evening and you weighed yourself at home in the morning, there will be a change. Just be consistent about your habits on weigh in days.
    I agree with the above poster in that I always weigh myself at the same time and under the same conditions. For me that's first thing in the morning, after i void, and right before I shower/bathe. I only weigh myself every few days, because fluctuations bring me down, especially if I'm expecting a loss.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just posted a similar thread! I get a little obsessive but tend to weigh in everyday!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weigh in every two weeks. I don't own a scale. I use the one at the gym, which is digital and gives me more detail than I need (half pound increments would be just fine for me).

I weigh before the same workout everytime, which is around 2pm.
  • Lyndsay137
    Lyndsay137 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have to limit myself to once every few weeks, I went through a phase of weighing constantly and became obsessive over it. If it hadnt dropped enough I'd binge etc.

Always first thing on a morning when I wake up after the toilet and before eating anything etc. Most people is once a week, but I always used to say after a rest day of exercise as I retain a ton of water otherwise :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jazzy550 wrote: »
    Ha! I just posted a similar thread! I get a little obsessive but tend to weigh in everyday!

I did that the last time around. In fact, I always did it, even when I was going to Weight Watchers. And on WW day, I would basically starve myself all day because I didn't want to see a gain at night (WW meeting was at 7pm) from whatever the scale said in the morning. It was sheer madness.

When I went to Curves we weighed in 1x a month. Upon further thought, I think that's too long to go - because for all you know you could be gaining a little each week and you don't even know you have to make an adjustment to your eating for a whole month. Once per week, same time every week, seems to be a good fit for me.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Choose the one thats best for you.

Try and make oty consistent, same time, after you have been to the loo and before you have eaten. People commonly choose first thing in the morning.

If you weigh daily then be prepared for daily fluctuations of up to 4lbs a day. You are looking for the trend and shouldnt get freaked out by one days reading. Also be aware of water retention as an explanation.

If you find it more stressful or a hassle, then weigh less frequently. It is personal choice.

You should also consider other weights of measuring that show you things the scales cannot. Tape measure, looking in the mirror, how your clothes feel, performance measures at the gym.