Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I exercise and eat healthy - but get fatter

Replies

• No, I know for sure that I'm not pregnant ;)

Maybe I'm really underestimating my calorie intake and overestimating my burned calories (although I use a HRM). I've just installed my app again to track everything :)

The Jillian Michaels DVD is a mix of cardio and strength training. I've done the programm for several times and it has worked with visual results every time.
  • remnantkin
    remnantkin Posts: 6 Member
    "eating healthy"....
    "eating healthy"....

As others have said, start quantifying this. Calories. Numbers. Tracking.

The science is sound and the numbers don't lie. The sooner you start measuring your input vs output in regards to calories, the sooner you'll start to figure out where the problem is.

Then you can adjust and start losing weight again.

Simple maths is all that's required to work out your approximate calorie limits. Current weight (in lbs) x10 = max daily calories for loss/deficit, x14 for sustain, x16 for gain. Work out whatever calories you burn through physical exertion each day and add that to give you your total max limit for the day.

I.e. My current weight, 218lbs, my calorie limit = 2180. 5k run = ~550 calories; Walk to work 350 calories. New max limit: 2180 + 550 + 350 = 3080. If i eat under this, I'll weigh less the next day. If i make sure that I've eaten an appropriate amount of protein that day, more fat will be lost than lean muscle.

Repeat until target weight (I've been losing 2lbs a week since November)

Keep it simple. Don't over think things. Limit your calories and use the macros to control how you feel, i.e. protein to quell hunger, carbs to give you energy. The weight should gradually fall off if you stick to this.

Measuring calories burned through exercise is trickier. The calculations on this site aren't always the most accurate but when used in combination with other online calculators, can give you a bit of clearer idea of how much you've burned.

Also, if you're standing all day as a teacher, wear a pedometer. Chances are you'll clock up a good few hundred calories of exercise from all the walking about throughout the day.
  • Oops, I misread. My BMR is 1430, the Active Metabolic Rate 1870 (calculated some weeks ago (140 lbs))
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    __nicole__ wrote: »
    The Jillian Michaels DVD is a mix of cardio and strength training. I've done the programm for several times and it has worked with visual results every time.

It's possible it's just too easy for you, now. Are you increasing the weights that you use on it each time?
  • Hmm, I think if it was too easy, my weight would simply stay the same...
    I increased the weights when I started, but not right now. Need to get new dumb bells...

Wearing a pedometer is also a good idea.

What about the heart rate monitor? Is it accurate and quite reliable? I got one from Polar...
  • remnantkin
    After 3 months of tracking the effort/weight/calorie burn on machines at the gym, it seems to me that even if you find it a lot easier than when you started, the difference in calorie burn for say 40 mins of cardio is negligible (like within the realm of 50 calories).

As long as you're doing the exercise correctly and in a consistent manner, it should be fine.

Heart rate, i've never paid too much attention to. Calories will burn no matter what heart rate you get up to. The more time you spend doing an exercise, the more calories you'll burn.

Sure there's probably an optimum burn point and whatever, but as far as I'm concerned, you're already over-thinking things when you get to that point. Maybe think about that stuff when you're trying to min/max some miniscule bodyfat percentage or something after you've gotten down to the weight range you want.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Hmm, I think if it was too easy, my weight would simply stay the same...
    I increased the weights when I started, but not right now. Need to get new dumb bells...

Wearing a pedometer is also a good idea.

What about the heart rate monitor? Is it accurate and quite reliable? I got one from Polar...
    They can be accurate under certain circumstances but are widely used outside of their design and programming.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I am not saying this to insult you, so don't think I'm trying to imply you're not an intelligent or self aware person, or anything.

But chances are extremely good that you're not as accurate on your intake as you think you are. Please understand this is coming from someone who has been dieting off and on since she was TWELVE. I know that a serving of meat is supposed to be about the size of a deck of cards, I know that serving of pasta is half a cup which is about half the size of a tennis ball -- all that smack.

If you do not measure (and I mean use a scale rather than volume measurement) every damn gram that goes in your mouth, you cannot be sure of your intake.

The handful of raisins you eat because you're starving when you get home from work while you're prepping dinner... That counts and needs to be weighed. The creamer in your coffee counts. (IF you're like me and use half-n-half that does add up quick). The oil you use to sautee those very healthy veggies -- totally counts and needs to be accounted for in your diet.

If I am making this out to be a tedious, obsessive pain in the butt... Well, you're right. It totally is. But after doing that for a period of time, you WILL have a much greater and more accurate understanding of your caloric intake.

(I say this as someone who would have sworn on a stack of Bibles I had to exercise a million hours a week and eat less than 1,200 calories a day to lose weight. Not really true. I do work out about five hours a week, true enough, but I am losing a pound a week pretty steadily at an average of 1773 calories a day and I'm a short, middle-aged yo-yo dieter!)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    No, currently not. I did it for a while to get a feeling for how many calories/fat etc I eat, but I didn't do it here on myfitnesspal. I used another app.

I eat about 1300-1500 calories a day. Sometimes more. But I think I should definately not gain weight or even fat that way... I also don't think that I undereat...??

You are eating more than you realize if you are not tracking calories.
  • ana3067
    remnantkin wrote: »
    "eating healthy"....
    "eating healthy"....

As others have said, start quantifying this. Calories. Numbers. Tracking.

The science is sound and the numbers don't lie. The sooner you start measuring your input vs output in regards to calories, the sooner you'll start to figure out where the problem is.

Then you can adjust and start losing weight again.

Simple maths is all that's required to work out your approximate calorie limits. Current weight (in lbs) x10 = max daily calories for loss/deficit, x14 for sustain, x16 for gain. Work out whatever calories you burn through physical exertion each day and add that to give you your total max limit for the day.

I.e. My current weight, 218lbs, my calorie limit = 2180. 5k run = ~550 calories; Walk to work 350 calories. New max limit: 2180 + 550 + 350 = 3080. If i eat under this, I'll weigh less the next day. If i make sure that I've eaten an appropriate amount of protein that day, more fat will be lost than lean muscle.

Repeat until target weight (I've been losing 2lbs a week since November)

Keep it simple. Don't over think things. Limit your calories and use the macros to control how you feel, i.e. protein to quell hunger, carbs to give you energy. The weight should gradually fall off if you stick to this.

Measuring calories burned through exercise is trickier. The calculations on this site aren't always the most accurate but when used in combination with other online calculators, can give you a bit of clearer idea of how much you've burned.

Also, if you're standing all day as a teacher, wear a pedometer. Chances are you'll clock up a good few hundred calories of exercise from all the walking about throughout the day.

No, dear God no, do NOT peddle this kind of message to people. Like HELL I'm eating 1450 calories to lose weight when I only have ~15lbs to go. I didn't even eat that little when I was 188lbs! This is a TERRIBLE thing to recommend to people - it is going to work for very few people.
  • I am not saying this to insult you, so don't think I'm trying to imply you're not an intelligent or self aware person, or anything.

But chances are extremely good that you're not as accurate on your intake as you think you are.

No problem ;) I'm here to get a good advice. So I'm happy when there are suggestions of what I could change.

OK. I'll track everything I consume. Sounds reasonable.

Now I really think that I may have eaten a little bit too much. Or maybe my good-morning-smoothie was too much fruit - I eat pretty much fruit.... > sugar
    From now on I'll have a veggie-smoothie in the morning instead
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Sugar from fruit is not a bad thing. There's really no need to cut that out for most people. Fruit is healthy and good for you, and tasty.

Even some added sugar from processed foods isn't gonna throw you off, as long as it's not the only thing you eat morning to night.

It's the calorie deficit, is all.
  • remnantkin
    ana3067 wrote: »
    No, dear God no, do NOT peddle this kind of message to people. Like HELL I'm eating 1450 calories to lose weight when I only have ~15lbs to go. I didn't even eat that little when I was 188lbs! This is a TERRIBLE thing to recommend to people - it is going to work for very few people.

You wouldn't have been eating that low at 188lbs because you should have been eating at most around 1880 calories (before exercise). It's a basic (rough) calorie deficit/sustain/growth calculation determined by your current bodyweight. The more you weigh, the more you can eat. If you're looking to drop from 10stone to 9 (145 to 130lbs) you can't be sitting around the house all day scoffing 2000 calories.
  • ROBtheMFPmachine
    ROBtheMFPmachine Posts: 59 Member
    you have to track your calories, period.
  • you have to track your calories, period.

Right :)
  • __nicole__
    __nicole__ Posts: 10
    edited January 2015
    @ everybody: thanks a lot for your help!!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    I am not saying this to insult you, so don't think I'm trying to imply you're not an intelligent or self aware person, or anything.

But chances are extremely good that you're not as accurate on your intake as you think you are.

No problem ;) I'm here to get a good advice. So I'm happy when there are suggestions of what I could change.

OK. I'll track everything I consume. Sounds reasonable.

Now I really think that I may have eaten a little bit too much. Or maybe my good-morning-smoothie was too much fruit - I eat pretty much fruit.... > sugar
    From now on I'll have a veggie-smoothie in the morning instead

Have a McDonalds Mocha Milkshake if that's what you want.

Look - you have to get past this "healthy" thing that's still apparent even in your last post I quoted above.

Fruit (sugar) is just fine amd you can lose plenty of weight enjoying both your ftuit and your sugar. NO vegetable smoothie is better/healthier in terms of your problem. It's the calories. You will continue to put on weight, even on veggie smoothies if you continue to overconsume.

"Healthy" eating is not the issue.

*Over*eating is.

• ana3067
    remnantkin wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

You wouldn't have been eating that low at 188lbs because you should have been eating at most around 1880 calories (before exercise). It's a basic (rough) calorie deficit/sustain/growth calculation determined by your current bodyweight. The more you weigh, the more you can eat. If you're looking to drop from 10stone to 9 (145 to 130lbs) you can't be sitting around the house all day scoffing 2000 calories.

Sorry, I should have clarified and I did read it a bit wrong (another user suggests 10x your GOAL weight for weight loss). But I didnt' even only eat 1880 when I was at my heaviest. I quickly bumped it up to 2000-2250 calories. Which still may have been lower than needed.

If you want to lose weight, you need to figure out your energy expenditure. So no, if all I did was sit on my *kitten* all day I probably wouldn't lose that much eating 2000 calories (but I would still lose at my weight of 160lbs). But because I lift weights 4x a week for ~40 minutes or more and because I do ~1.5hrs of cardio a week, I CAN lose weight easily on 2000 calories. I actually had to increase it because I didn't feel great eating only 2000 calories. Whether you do TDEE (gross) or net calorie methods (MFP), it's about basing your intake on your energy needs, not on some generic calculation of your weight times some random number. So again, please do not tell people to use that type of calculation. You can most likely eat more than you are currently eating as well to lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    No, currently not. I did it for a while to get a feeling for how many calories/fat etc I eat, but I didn't do it here on myfitnesspal. I used another app.

I eat about 1300-1500 calories a day. Sometimes more. But I think I should definately not gain weight or even fat that way... I also don't think that I undereat...??

You're eating more than you think you are. Start weighing food, logging, and eat at a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

Under eating does not make a person fat, overeating does.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

But chances are extremely good that you're not as accurate on your intake as you think you are. Please understand this is coming from someone who has been dieting off and on since she was TWELVE. I know that a serving of meat is supposed to be about the size of a deck of cards, I know that serving of pasta is half a cup which is about half the size of a tennis ball -- all that smack.

If you do not measure (and I mean use a scale rather than volume measurement) every damn gram that goes in your mouth, you cannot be sure of your intake.

The handful of raisins you eat because you're starving when you get home from work while you're prepping dinner... That counts and needs to be weighed. The creamer in your coffee counts. (IF you're like me and use half-n-half that does add up quick). The oil you use to sautee those very healthy veggies -- totally counts and needs to be accounted for in your diet.

If I am making this out to be a tedious, obsessive pain in the butt... Well, you're right. It totally is. But after doing that for a period of time, you WILL have a much greater and more accurate understanding of your caloric intake.

(I say this as someone who would have sworn on a stack of Bibles I had to exercise a million hours a week and eat less than 1,200 calories a day to lose weight. Not really true. I do work out about five hours a week, true enough, but I am losing a pound a week pretty steadily at an average of 1773 calories a day and I'm a short, middle-aged yo-yo dieter!)

Yep. So well said. :)

garfield-thumbs-up.jpeg