How to mentally get past the scale

How do you, personally, handle not seeing the scale budge (when you have NSV like losing inches and clothes fitting better)?

Replies

• RhondaDesiree
    RhondaDesiree Posts: 19 Member
    I try to focus on the little changes. More energy, smaller shoes, clothes fit better, I'm down two sizes. I also take pictures & measure my arms, waist, neck, hips & thighs. I've lost an inch off my neck! I buy myself small things to celebrate losses. ( a Brighton charm, They have a Hippo that says strength) Also I can tie my shoes without feeling like I'm going to die. I can walk up a flight of stairs & not be out of breath. I can get in & out of the tub easier. All these small things add up. Then just when you think the scale is never going to move, IT DOES! Just never give up. Every day set one small goal.
  • sosoangel
    sosoangel Posts: 20 Member
    I try to focus on the little changes. More energy, smaller shoes, clothes fit better, I'm down two sizes. I also take pictures & measure my arms, waist, neck, hips & thighs. I've lost an inch off my neck! I buy myself small things to celebrate losses. ( a Brighton charm, They have a Hippo that says strength) Also I can tie my shoes without feeling like I'm going to die. I can walk up a flight of stairs & not be out of breath. I can get in & out of the tub easier. All these small things add up. Then just when you think the scale is never going to move, IT DOES! Just never give up. Every day set one small goal.

Well said. You are absolutely right. Those feelings are great. Was at work the other day and went up 2 flights of stairs and was NOT out of breath. Two months ago I was huffing and puffing.
    But I try to only weigh myself once a week. Otherwise it drives you crazy and discourages you. It happens to me all the time, but don't give up!

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    If I'm doing everything right (logging, measuring correctly, not sneaking "bites" of this and that here and there, reaching my step goals) then I just trust the process that the scale will move eventually, also trusting that the longer the wait, the bigger the "budge" on the scale will be when it does come.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Hide/throw away the scale! lol. NSVs are much more indicative of your fitness progress :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Mech9 wrote: »
    How do you, personally, handle not seeing the scale budge (when you have NSV like losing inches and clothes fitting better)?

Have more goals and track according to a weighted average.

Seriously. Do I like it when the number seems painted on the scale? Nope. The weighted average has a more steady trend and that gives a clearer idea of progress or not.

Also, I find that even when the weight may not be moving the way I like, that having other physical goals can help me to tolerate it better. Between looking at the weight trend and seeing if I am getting faster or having more endurance in my chosen sport, there is always at least a little progress SOMEWHERE!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    It depends. ofc you can and should use a selection of measurements as they all have different value. I do think exercise helps as its a way of fighting back and helping the scale move downwards. I also keep things in perspective, exercise some patience and just get determined to do better.

If its still not moving, then I review my logging and tighten up. So far I havent hit a massive stall.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    I try to look at the 'big picture' of weight loss. It's not a straight line and there's no -one- number that tells me how I'm doing. So I weigh myself, take measurements, ook at my physical strength and endurance, how clothes are feeling, my energy level, my moods. If I start looking at more aspects of weight loss and more way to 'measure' success, odds are I find at least 2 or 3 things that have improved.

Numbers are only one piece of the puzzle, when I pull back my focus I realize I'm getting rewarded every week for the healthy choices I make, regardless of whether the numbers are what I expect. Dig a little and I'm sure you can find other stuff you've achieved that'll encourage you when the numbers can't :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited January 2015
    well, if your clothes fit better and you're looking better then what does some number on a scale matter. People are going to say, "you look great", not "wow...you look like you're XXX Lbs."

when I first lost weight, I got down to about 180 Lbs and 15% ish BF (give or take)...I'm not 190 Lbs and 15% ish BF (give or take)...I actually look better now than I did then...why the *kitten* would I care what the number is?
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    I take pictures once a month. I'm always SHOCKED to see how much I've changed. I also measure: breast, chest, biceps, waist, hips, thighs, calves. Finally, it's all about perspective. What's your goal? Mine is to commit, once and for all, to a healthy, self loving attitude, so if I'm eating right, and exercising enough, that's an amazing achievement for me. I know the size and scale will follow.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2015
    I go get my camera and take progress pics when I feel like nothing is happening, that makes me feel better instantly. :#
    The number on the scale is just a number. It says nothing about the progress you're making.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Like I keep saying everywhere on the forum (lol) I don't stress on the scale at all. I used too though. I have shifted my focus on the long run. If the trend is down, keep doing what you're doing! I only log when I lose, unless the weight sticks around for more then 2-3 days. Usually, if I lose 1lbs I will gain 1-2lbs in the next couple of days. Then, I lose that 1-2lbs and some more. The trend is going down, so I don't worry about it. :)