How do dancers train?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd say get out of you're own way. Anyone can learn to dance and improve their musicality coordination and balance. But it takes work.

Do not give up on an idea because you are a scared of not being good to it. Everyone started at the bottom.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, taking dance classes is not an option. It's a 2 hour drive to the closest adult dance lessons, and it's way too heavy on my already limited budget (because it's a novelty here, prices are about 2-3 times what they are in the US).

You are right though that I'm scared. Last time I "danced" was when I was in grade school, and even that was a laugh. Borrowed the Zumba DVD to try it out, and found out that I can't follow even the simplest steps properly. I guess I'm okay with not dancing, but what I would REALLY like to achieve is some level of control over my body. Being able to scale myself over things, being able to reach out to a far branch to pick an apple without losing balance, stepping over a high something without pulling a muscle.. etc, and just plain feeling like I'm strong, flexible, and in control..
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hardenton wrote: »
    Yoga is the worst place to start. I would start with jumping and hip movement

I could not disagree more. I've danced since I was 7 (I'm 35 now). Ballet and jazz. Yoga reinforces my skills and makes me a better dancer.

Regardless, the OP is for looking for strength, balance and control.

The first thing you should probably do is learn how to count music. It can get pretty in depth, but I'd start with 8 counts (here's a video)

My recommendation is to learn a yoga routine - something like sun salutations. Get comfortable with it - then add slow music (after you get your counts down) and do the routine flow style (meaning no long holds in positions) to the music. Once you're comfortable with that, step the beat up and continue stepping it up until the whole routine is one fluid movement after another. That should allow you to work on all the things you're aiming for, at your own pace/comfort level.