Saturday Rantings ... and GO SEAHAWKS

Options
Some ranting's today about the use of punctuation and spelling: B)

Rant #1:

Punctuation

I'm not a teacher just a concerned citizen trying to maintain a semblance of civility in this world of IM's, Texts, Twitter and the like.
With the limited number of characters allowed, or the desire to convey a message quickly, the use of punctuation has been lost.

I was reading a post on Facebook from a woman from a Fitbit feed and she was complaining about the "haters" who berated her for not using punctuation in her posts. Apparently, she has ADHD as a child and couldn't sit still in class. This prevented her from learning.
That is a great excuse, I suppose, but why not try to learn? She is an adult now; time to stop making excuses.
It's that attitude that also prevents us from taking control of our health and fitness. There are always excuses but it's time to put on your big-girl pants and take control of our lives.

I digress. Below is my response to her post.

It's simple really, when you are talking, you take normal pauses in your conversation. This is how commas and periods work. They are like yield and stop signs. Use a comma when you take a breath (yield) and a period when you finish a particular thought (stop). Not using them makes it difficult for people to read what you are trying to convey. I'm not a hater, but I won't waste time reading through a long paragraph without punctuation. sorry

I mean, for crying out loud, can you imagine reading a book with no punctuation? We, the reader, would be frustrated trying to decipher the content and would give up. Think of all we would lose without books. No history, no memoirs, no 'how-to' books, no novels or science. What a sad world this would be!

If my response helps her understand punctuation a bit better, my work here is done! LOL!

Rant #2:

The use of LOOSE vs. LOSE

I can't believe how many people use these two words incorrectly.

LOOSE: It has an two o's; this is an extra one. Similar to having extra room in your blouse or your jeans. When you have extra room, you say your jeans are loose.

LOSE: Lose is missing an o; it has lost it. This is similar to you having lost weight. I need to lose 5 pounds.

Ok, rant's over! My work here is done. You may go about your day.....EXCEPT for one more thing:

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Replies