Diatomaceous Earth???

Options

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    No need to try to defend yourself.

We are fully aware that you were considering it.

I'm glad you asked about it here and found out to stay away from it. Honestly.

Your body will thank you for it.

There is not "quick" nor "magic" way to lose weight. Stay away from all of the people trying to make a buck from the poor desperate souls. Work hard, eat within a caloric deficit and you shall be fine.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    And throw that crap away :\

PLEASE?

Ok, I'm done. Bed time!
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've used it in my flower beds to kill slugs.
  • GavyJoe
    GavyJoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its doing its job killing the ants and spiders.. :D
  • GavyJoe
    Options
    Wow, I didnt know people would get so worked up over a question. Lol. Entertaining. :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    GavyJoe wrote: »
    Wow, I didnt know people would get so worked up over a question. Lol. Entertaining. :)

That's mostly what you're seeing OP. You are not the first person on here to ask about DE. Most people are just playing around a bit with their answers. Think of it as a mild hazing for new members.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    GavyJoe wrote: »

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • GavyJoe
    Options
    scudsmom wrote: »
    DE is found naturally in foods that we eat and the food grade is edible. My husband and I have taken it before. I couldn't tell a difference between taking it and not taking it but I probably didn't give it enough time. It wasn't the most pleasant thing to consume.

Thanks for the info from someone who actually tried it (which is what I asked) :)
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of fiber for the same reasons, but fiber is proven to do many of those things! It also occurs naturally in yummy foods, whereas I'm not so sure DE occurs naturally in anything that's tasty at all :smiley: But, you learn something new every day and, while I've used and heard of using DE for all sorts of things, I never knew anybody eats it!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    To eat? We use this stuff in our pool filter. There are no short cuts to losing weight. Eat in a deficit and you'll be good :)

We use it in our pool too! I didn't know it was edible.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    There are always going to be "testimonies" and "success stories," doesn't mean that it works. There will always be compelling "studies." The successful people lost weight by exercising and eating at a deficit, and then make money scamming people into trying some "miracle pill," or drink, or whatever. I can't say I haven't tried some of the crap advertised on TV too, but trust me, none of it works. It's just a good way to empty your pockets.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    To eat? We use this stuff in our pool filter. There are no short cuts to losing weight. Eat in a deficit and you'll be good :)

We use it in our pool too! I didn't know it was edible.
    Prolly because it's not
  • AntsInMyEyesJohnson
    Options
    I don't know about eating it, but when using it for a pool they say to be sure not to breathe it. The broken up pieces of shells have very sharp edges that wreak havoc on your lung tissue.

You can also sprinkle it in your garden to kill slugs and snails. It slices them up as they crawl over it.

Still want to eat it? None for me, thanks. ;)
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    jbbair wrote: »
    I don't know about eating it, but when using it for a pool they say to be sure not to breathe it. The broken up pieces of shells have very sharp edges that wreak havoc on your lung tissue.

You can also sprinkle it in your garden to kill slugs and snails. It slices them up as they crawl over it.

Still want to eat it? None for me, thanks. ;)

Yup...we use it in our garden too!!
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    And throw that crap away :\

PLEASE?

Ok, I'm done. Bed time!

No need to throw it away, but I agree with not eating it. It's probably fine, but it won't do anything magical that eating healthy and staying active won't. At least we know for a fact that works and is ok :smile:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Reviving an old thread. I have been taking the DE for six days and I have already noticed improvement in digestion, increased energy, decreased appetite, decreased cravings, and better sleep. As someone else mentioned, it is naturally occuring in some foods.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You've probably all eaten it at some point because it's used as an anti caking/ flow agent in many commercial foods. It's supposed to be magical and cure all sorts of stuff. In desperation I tried it for some IBS issues and it did help a little but mostly I just got super great looking fingernails and thicker hair. Which wasn't bad but not exactly the miracle everyone says you'll get! I tried it figuring it wouldn't hurt but not expecting much.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    e51b6_ORIG-eddie_murphy_wtf_gif.gif
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have taken it. I first learned about it on an all natural pet health board as an internal and powder flea repellant. When I researched it I found that they had a human grade version. When I read through the testimonies (of course) it was all rave reviews. However... It wasn't until after I bought some and had bad side effects I realized all those 'testimonies' were simply copied and pasted on their site. Which means they could have made up every single one of them.

This was my experience...
    -Upset Stomach
    -Painful Internal Gas
    -Depression (Weepy)
    -Bad Breath
    -Mild Reflux
    -Severe Increase In Fibromyalgia & Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
    -Diarrhea
    -Itchy bum

I also mixed it in with both my cat and my dogs food as an internal flea 'med.' It didn't seem to have any effect on the dog except to soften her fur. While my cat's fur also softened she had a reaction to it. Her bottom started to bleed and was apparently so itchy she actually chewed chunks of her fur off! I immediately took them both off it.

One last thing. I did try using it a second time with just myself. The side effects came more swiftly and worse. I was hoping the first time was a fluke. Yes, I was duped and bought into it. I consider it a learning experience.

You wanted experiences with DE... That's mine. I now only use it around the house to keep away bugs and spiders.