Should I have a target # of calories burned during exercise?

Options
I am still new to this and I was wondering if I should have a target number of calories I burn during my workout. Up to this point, my goal has been making it to 30 minutes 5-6 times a week.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Both methods work. I usually go by time because it's easier to fit into my daily schedule.
    Caution: if you're using MFP's exercise database for the calories burned, they can be higher than you're actual burn. If you're "eating back" your exercise calories and using MFP's database, you may want to limit your "eating back" to half the exercise calories, just to be sure.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Completely up to you. I find it is less stressful to just have a target time. Anyway, if you're using the MFP method you are already at a deficit, the exercise just allows you to eat more and is good for your heart. Normally I do very little, except in cases like tomorrow being the super bowl and I want to eat cheese dips.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    moshispins wrote: »
    I am still new to this and I was wondering if I should have a target number of calories I burn during my workout. Up to this point, my goal has been making it to 30 minutes 5-6 times a week.

How much or little you chose to exercise is up to you. I would suggest whatever you can stick with in the long term. I decided on 3x per week because I know I can do this long term.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You need to think what your goals are. Think about what you are doing during those 30 minutes and whether you are making a decent effort. You should know your own performance and know what times/pace constitutes a decent workout. As you become more efficient, then you should be aiming to improve those times to avoid slacking and get fitter.

Although everything counts (especially if just starting) I'd think exercise calorie burns starts to get useful at the 250 mark and significant at 500+ (notwithstanding all the debate on burn accuracy). I look at all the aspects, time spent, distance traveled, speed/pace and calories burned.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Your preference.