Best time to workout for weight loss?

Options
I was looking online for best times to workout for weight loss and it seems everyone has a different opinion. What time would yall recommend? Morning? Evenings? And should I eat protein before or after workouts? I usually do 3 miles on the eliptical and a few miles on the treadmill and some weights for my legs and arms.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, work out when it fits your schedule.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Time does not affect weight loss when it comes to eating or exercise.

There's also no need to use protein before or after a workout; it's broscience. Just make sure you're hitting your protein goals daily.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The time you'll DO it consistently.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There is no best time so the fallback plan is what they said at whatever time you get into the gym. For those people who differ from that, then they are wrong.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The one thing that MFP has taught me is that successful people do things in ways that they will continue to do it and enjoy it. Everyone is different. If you tried to make me get up an hour earlier to exercise, I'd hate it and would stop. On the other hand, I love going after work and enjoy it so I continue doing it. Do what works for you and keep doing it :smile:
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What they said. Whatever time works best for you that you can consistently keep up. Only time I would avoid would be just before going to bed.

Also I would seriously consider a good, compound movement weight program, such as Stronglifts, Allpro, NROL, ...
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I work out in the evening immediately after I get off work and my Love gets home soo..around 6:30pm usually. I do this because I can consistently continue doing it and not get burned out. If I work out full throttle in the morning I am too sleepy to put in all my effort and usually get bored within a few days. This is what works for me. For about four years I didn't sleep very much and did long bike rides around 2am-3am in the morning because it was when I could consistently do it (It was the only time I was awake enough to do so).

Try different times daily to see which feels best to you. Work out in the morning a few times and if that doesn't fit you, try evenings. If you don't work or have anything mid-afternoon, try that.

I have read artciles like this: http://www.lose-weight-with-us.com/best-time-to-exercise.html but have never really taken it into account because the internet also once told me that if I stopped eating anything colored white and kept to under 500 calories I'd be skinny. The internet lies and tries to kill you. So I don't trust it anymore.

It's all up to what you want.