Gained weight from Yoga?

I've recently started a yoga practice, where I do at least 10 minutes a day, and I added in a hot yoga class twice a week that lasts just over an hour. I've noticed about a 3 pound weight gain since I started just a couple few weeks ago. I realize it's not much, but many of my peers have attributed it to muscle gain. I just have trouble believing that I gained 3 lbs of muscle in less than 3 weeks from yoga... any other insights?

Replies

• didsomeonesaypizza
    didsomeonesaypizza Posts: 13 Member
    Could be that you're retaining water due to not being hydrated enough. But I doubt that much muscle has accumulated. Drink more and see where you're at in a week.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Nope ..ya didn't

You may be weighing more due to water weight ..sodium or hormones but there is no way you are building muscles from 10 mins of yoga
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope ..ya didn't

You may be weighing more due to water weight ..sodium or hormones but there is no way you are building muscles from 10 mins of yoga

What she said.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You don't gain weight (fat) from any exercise...that doesn't even pass anything resembling common sense. You can retain some water with new exercises...also, your body weight fluctuates up and down constantly which is why you need to look at the overall trend over time.

Also, if you're dieting you aren't going to be able to put on any appreciable muscle mass...certainly not enough to actually cause you to gain weight in an energy deficit.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    I just started hot yoga too. Be sure to drink lots of water, both before and after.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    You can gain fat from eating more calories than you burn. You can gain (temporary) weight from retaining water, eating more sodium, hormonal fluctuations, or normal fluctuations. You are not getting more muscles eating in a deficit. You are not getting more muscles from yoga.