Help with setting goals in diary

I lost about 40 pounds a couple of years ago, here, by eating 1200 calories strictly. I've been on and off the site, but got back on a few weeks ago and would like to lose some weight before I get pregnant, about 20 pounds ideally though I don't know if I will wait that long. I have my diary set to 1200 but am eating more than that because it's too restrictive. But that means I've basically been maintaining for the past few weeks.

I never understood the TDEE and all that--hoping someone could help with that. I sit at a desk for work most of the day though trying to start walking at lunch. I'm 5'3.

Also my diary should be viewable--any input into what to change up I'd love feedback on. Thanks!

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    TDEE is the amount of calories you need just for everyday activities. BMR is just energy needed to exist.

If your BMR is 1200, and your TDEE is 1700 that means you are using 500 calories in daily activities. There are online calculators for these numbers. Like IIFYM.com. so you can up your TDEE by adding exercise, which will give you more of a calorie deficit.

1200 is a little strict. I eat about 1400 and set my protein goal in accordance with my LBM, 0.9 x LBM, and allow 50-70g of good fats, rest is carbs. I also weigh my foods, since I have a tendancy to underestimate my portions.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Not to nit pick, but I so see more than necessary empty calories in your diary. Which triggers hunger. I think if you add more fruits, veggies and lean meats your hunger will abate. I do frozen fruit smoothies with protein powder. My diary is open, not perfect, but open.

The calorie allotment is like your bank account. You want the most food possible for say 1400 cal/day. I'd also try to work in a half cup oatmeal for breakfast (or something equally filling). Giving your body energy early will tell your metabolism to get going. As you sleep your metabolism down shifts.

Good luck!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Thanks for the input! I agree I do have some empty calories in there that I need to cut back on. I think I will try 1400 calories and stick to it and see if that works for me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Go to:
    Settings > Goals > Change Goals > Guided > pick 0.5lbs/week or 1lb/week max as your goal > If you are an average person with average activity levels then select lightly active > Eat to your net goal every day > log at eat back at least half of the calories earned from exercise.

This should enable you to lose weight without having such an unnecessarily low goal. 1400 could still be too low for you.

If you prefer eating a static number daily then estimate TDEE from a few different calculators (I likek health-calc and exrx.net) and subtract 10%, 15%, or 20% and set as your custom goal. Only do this if your exercise is consistent.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    The winner here gets to eat the most and still lose. Start weighing your food (banana, 1 small/ cauliflower 1/2 cup, weigh it etc.). How you get to the deficit, is all thats important.
  • LV98765
    LV98765 Posts: 2 Member
    Not strictly relevant to your question, but I looked at your diary and noticed you take 2g of cinnamon (cassia) supplements daily. Isn't that rather a lot of coumarin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin#Toxicity_and_use_in_foods.2C_beverages.2C_cosmetics_and_tobacco

http://whatisnutritiontips.com/health-benefits-cinnamon/

• psmd
    I just set my goals to 1 lb/week and it's 1440 calories per day. I think I can manage that.

Re: the cinnamon, I take it for MS, there is currently research being done to see if it can work as a medication. Some people take it to regulate blood glucose. I'm a little confused by the coumarin link. I haven't heard that cinnamon in that quantity is harmful before.
  • ana3067
    Your 1440 goal is WITHOUT added exercise. If you exercise, log it and eat back at least half of those calories.
  • psmd
    Thanks! I shoveled the driveway today, snowing like crazy here in Chicago. Not sure how many calories that is though, was sweating pretty good! Planning to hit the gym this week for the first time in a while. I do have a heart monitor I will use.
  • ana3067
    I wouldn't bother with something like shoveling re: logging. If it becomes a daily habit then you could eat an extra 50 calories a day or something, but otherwise i'd just let it average out with your non-exercise activity. A HRM is often recommended for cardio, although i don't think most people eat back the full calories - you'd probably wnat to ask or search about this.