Need some help after failing last year

Options
I started MFP last year and did wonderful, it was my first time getting healthy and I did great with cals and exercising... I lost 30 pounds in 3 months doing nothing but staying under my cals and exercising everyday. Then I got sick, I had a sinus infection that went into a cold that went into bronchitis. Long story short, I was sick for about a month and a half and I have possible cough variant asthma and when I could, if I even get the slightest bit overheated, I cough until I puke so I stopped exercising and I stopped eating health eventually... then I stopped doing anything. Now I am starting again and I need ideas as to not fall off the healthy train again if I get sick, ways to burn calories by not getting overheated and all of that because I know it will come at some point. Also, what do you do when you go out of town? That was another reason it all fell apart last year...

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a good way to control your temperature. And I think there are asthma medications for exercise induced asthma.
    I think any strenuous activity is going to raise your core temp. Perhaps yoga or Pilate's?
    I started MFP last year and did wonderful, it was my first time getting healthy and I did great with cals and exercising... I lost 30 pounds in 3 months doing nothing but staying under my cals and exercising everyday. Then I got sick, I had a sinus infection that went into a cold that went into bronchitis. Long story short, I was sick for about a month and a half and I have possible cough variant asthma and when I could, if I even get the slightest bit overheated, I cough until I puke so I stopped exercising and I stopped eating health eventually... then I stopped doing anything. Now I am starting again and I need ideas as to not fall off the healthy train again if I get sick, ways to burn calories by not getting overheated and all of that because I know it will come at some point. Also, what do you do when you go out of town? That was another reason it all fell apart last year...

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, I can just share what I do. I have really, really bad chronic migraines. I actually have a bunch of chronic medical conditions, but right now, the migraines have been acting up. Usually, they're under control, but ever since Christmas, I've been pretty incapacitated by them. Exercise makes them worse.

I'm still watching my calories, and I've lost 8 pounds in that time.

Not being able to exercise and even not feeling your best still leaves you with the ability to stay within a caloric deficit.
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, I can just share what I do. I have really, really bad chronic migraines. I actually have a bunch of chronic medical conditions, but right now, the migraines have been acting up. Usually, they're under control, but ever since Christmas, I've been pretty incapacitated by them. Exercise makes them worse.

Not being able to exercise and even not feeling your best still leaves you with the ability to stay within a caloric deficit.

Yeah, I did that at first but I think I got frustrated and ended up giving up
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Swimming is a good way to control your temperature. And I think there are asthma medications for exercise induced asthma.
    I think any strenuous activity is going to raise your core temp. Perhaps yoga or Pilate's?

Unfortunately I do not have access to a pool, even the closest gym is 30 mins away. I am new to being healthy still and know a little about yoga but know nothing about Pilates
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Yeah, I did that at first but I think I got frustrated and ended up giving up

It can be frustrating if the scale's moving slowly, but if you're weighing and measuring accurately, it WILL move. It's all a matter of having patience.